[accesscomp] FW: Cooking with a flat-topped stove, and quickly adjusting windows 7 volume from anywhere, Dan's tip for Tuesday August 19 2014

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 14:13:02 -0700

Robert Acosta, President

Helping Hands for the Blind

(818) 998-0044

www.helpinghands4theblind.org

From: dan Thompson [mailto:dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:53 AM
To: dan Thompson
Subject: Cooking with a flat-topped stove, and quickly adjusting windows 7
volume from anywhere, Dan's tip for Tuesday August 19 2014

*I.  Cooking with a flat-topped stove

Posted by Aaron Cannon - July 01, 2011 - Updated July 05, 2011

When we first moved into our home, I was quite disappointed to learn that
our stove is electric and not gas. Even worse, the stove has a perfectly
smooth glass top, so it is impossible to tell where the burners are without
sight, or so I thought.

I've found two ways to successfully center a pan on the burner. The first
and simplest way simply requires that you turn on the burner that you want
to use to its lowest setting and you should then be able to touch the stove
surface with quick light touches to determine where the edges of the burner
are.

But what if you need to move or replace a pan when the burner is already
very hot? I find I can still use the technique of feeling the heat of the
burner without actually touching the stove. What I do is move my hand around
next to the pan a couple inches above the stove top and feel which side of
the pan is hottest. Then, I move the pan a couple inches in that direction.
I repeat these steps until the heat coming off the stove all around the pan
is fairly consistent.

The other method for making sure the pan is centered on the burner is to
place marks on the stove. However, I didn't mark our stove directly on the
burner itself for two reasons: (1) I don't know of anything to use that is
sufficiently heat resistant and (2) if I put dots on the burner, it would
unbalance anything I set there. Actually, there's a third reason, and that
is that my wife would probably wash it off. So, what I did is place two dots
on the sides of the stove in a position such that if you placed two rulers
straight out from the dots, they would intersect right at the center of the
burner. I can then use these dots to line up the pan.

There are undoubtedly other ways to accomplish centering a pan on a flat-top
stove, but these are the techniques that work for me.

*II.   Easy Steps to Quickly Adjust Windows 7 Volume Control
by Brad Dunse

And adapted by Dan Thompson

http://blindhow.com/posts/687#content

So you've got Windows 7, a keyboard without a master volume control, a
button that isn't too handy, or a laptop with some obscure function key; and
you're fed up with hunting down the Sound applet in a panic just to mute,
turn up, or turn down your music before and after the phone rings.

What if you never had to go through all that search box typing, tabbing,
clicking, and other nonsense just to make your adjustments, but rather one
hot key combo that let's you arrow up or down as needed?

Well here's your answer.

Windows 7 Volume Control Keyboard Shortcut

1.  First you must copy the line below to the clipboard for later pasting in
to a shortcut edit field.

a.  Using a mouse, highlight the line below that starts with windir.  Then
click the right mouse button and click copy.

windir\System32\SndVol.exe -f 49825268

b.  Using a keyboard with a screenReader,

place the cursor at the beginning of the line that starts with windir.   Do
this by arrowing down to that line and pressing the home key.

Next press shift plus the end key.

Finally press control plus the letter c.

windir\System32\SndVol.exe -f 49825268

2. Right click on an empty area on the desktop. Alternatively when using a
screenreader, from the keyboard You can do this by

a.  Press windows key plus the letter m.  The cursor is placed  on the
desktop.

b.  Hold down the control key (left or right, it doesn't matter), and tap
the spacebar until hearing "not selected."

3.  From the keyboard, press the application key or shift plus f10 followed
by the letter w until hearing "new." If there is only icon starting with w
in this menu, the submenu will automatically open.  However, if there is an
additional icon starting with w, you will need to press enter when reaching
your choice of "new" as in this instance.

b.  Next press the letter s for "shortcut."

If using a mouse and the pointer is currently on that blank space mentioned
above, click on "new."  Then click on "shortcut."

4. In the location area, paste the clipboard's contents by:

a.  Using a mouse, click the right mouse button and click on paste.

b.  From the keyboard, press control plus the letter v.

5. Tab to the "next" button and press enter

6. In the name area, type in the word volume or whatever you wish to call
this shortcut and then hit enter.

This will put an icon on your desktop.

Now, to assign a shortcut key to the desktop icon, do the following.

1. Focus on the newly named volume icon.

2. Press ALT+Enter to pull up the icon's properties window

3. Tab to the shortcut area and press the letter v or whatever letter or
numeral you wish to use for this shortcut.  Windows will insert the keys
control plus alt in that window.  So do not be concerned if when pressing
the letter v and the screenreading software says "control plus alt plus v",
or if sighted, you see the keys of control plus alt automatically added.

4. Tab to okay and hit enter.

The shortcut is now created.

To access volume control from anywhere, press alt plus control plus the
letter v.

If you wish not to hear that anoying ding ding as the volume is changed, do
the following:

1. Go to Sound in your control panel or press the start button, type sound
in the search box.  Then  arrow to it and hit enter.

2. Press control plus tab until reaching the sounds tab. If using amouse,
click into the sounds tab.

3. Tab until you find the list of events which sounds are assigned, and fine
Windows default by arrowing up/down.

4. Tab again until you get to the sound assigned to Windows default, then
press the home key, or arrow to "none" at the top of the list.

5. Tab to OK and hit enter. Wala!

Note: Assigning no sound to the Windows default is system wide, but
generally it is a non-important sound notification.

Now, when you want to adjust your music, simply press CTRL Shift V, or
whatever key combo you assigned it, it will pop up right on the slider ready
for you to make adjustments. Use the up and down arrows, Page Up and Page
Down, or your End and Home keys to make your adjustments.

Just press Escape to close it.

The above will also adjust your screen reader if it is also assigned to your
computers sound card or head phones. You can always consult your screen
reader's adjustments or help files to assign it to a different device such
as a headphone or second sound card, that way you can adjust your music
coming from your spea                           kers and not your screen
reader in your headphones.

"Prayer is not a check request asking for things from God. It is a deposit
slip - a way of depositing God's character into our bankrupt souls."

-Dutch Sheets,

To subscribe to Dan's tips or dedaily devotions, send an email to
dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with either "subscribe dan's tips" or "subscribe daily
devotion" in the subject.

This message has been scanned by Norton 360