[accesscomp] FW: 28 Internet acronyms every parent should know, Dan's tip for January 77 2015

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "awannouncements" <awannouncements@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 08:15:49 -0800

Robert Acosta, President

Helping Hands for the Blind

(818) 998-0044

www.helpinghands4theblind.org

From: dan Thompson [mailto:dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 7:40 AM
To: dan Thompson
Subject: 28 Internet acronyms every parent should know, Dan's tip for
January 77 2015

By Kelly Wallace

January 2nd, 2015

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/08/living/internet-acronyms-every-parent-should-k
now/index.html

*
*       Acronyms are widely used across the Internet, especially on social
media and texting apps
*       Some acronyms can be a shorthand for sex, drugs and alcohol
*       Experts say parents should be aware of acronyms and talk to their
children about them
*       Expert: "Asking kids not only gives you great information, but it
shows that you're paying attention"

Kelly Wallace is CNN's digital correspondent and editor-at-large covering
family, career and life. She is a mom of two girls. Read her
<http://www.cnn.com/specials/living/digital-living/index.html> other columns
on digital life

http://www.cnn.com/specials/living/digital-living/index.html

and follow her reports at
<http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/living/cnn-parents/index.html> CNN Parents

 <http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/living/cnn-parents/index.html>
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/living/cnn-parents/index.html

and on  <https://twitter.com/kellywallacetv> Twitter.

(CNN)

https://twitter.com/kellywallacetv

If you think you are tech savvy all because you know what "LOL" means, let
me test your coolness.

Any idea what "IWSN" stands for in Internet slang?

It's a declarative statement: I want sex now.

If it makes you feel any better, I had no clue, and neither did a number of
women I asked about it.

Acronyms are widely popular across the Internet, especially on social media
and texting apps, because, in some cases, they offer a shorthand for
communication that is meant to be instant.

<http://beta.next.cnn.com/2014/11/18/living/teens-sexting-what-parents-can-d
o/> READ: Chances are, your teen has sexted

http://beta.next.cnn.com/2014/11/18/living/teens-sexting-what-parents-can-do
/

So "LMK" -- let me know -- and "WYCM" -- will you call me? -- are innocent
enough.

But the issue, especially for parents, is understanding the slang that could
signal some dangerous teen behavior, such as "GNOC,'" which means "get naked
on camera."

And it certainly helps for a parent to know that "PIR" means parent in room,
which could mean the teen wants to have a conversation about things that his
or her mom and dad might not approve of.

 <http://www.klgreer.com/> Katie Greer is a national Internet safety expert
who has provided Internet and technology safety training to schools, law
enforcement agencies and community organizations throughout the country for
more than seven years.

She says research shows that a majority of teens believe that their parents
are starting to keep tabs on their online and social media lives.

"With that, acronyms can be used by kids to hide certain parts of their
conversations from attentive parents," Greer said. "Acronyms used for this
purpose could potentially raise some red flags for parents."

<http://beta.next.cnn.com/2014/11/25/living/10-signs-smartphone-addiction-di
gital-life/> READ: 10 signs you might be addicted to your smartphone

http://beta.next.cnn.com/2014/11/25/living/10-signs-smartphone-addiction-dig
ital-life/

But parents would drive themselves crazy, she said, if they tried to decode
every text, email and post they see their teen sending or receiving.

"I've seen some before and it's like 'The Da Vinci Code,' where only the
kids hold the true meanings (and most of the time they're fairly
innocuous)," she said.

Still, if parents come across any acronyms they believe could be
problematic, they should talk with their kids about them, said Greer.

But how, on earth, is a parent to keep up with all these acronyms,
especially since new ones are being introduced every day?

"It's a lot to keep track of," Greer said. Parents can always do a Google
search if they stumble upon an phrase they aren't familiar with, but the
other option is asking their children, since these phrases can have
different meanings for different people.

"Asking kids not only gives you great information, but it shows that you're
paying attention and sparks the conversation around their online behaviors,
which is imperative."

<http://beta.next.cnn.com/2014/10/16/living/teens-on-social-media-like-and-f
omo-anxiety-digital-life/> READ: Teen 'like' and FOMO anxiety

http://beta.next.cnn.com/2014/10/16/living/teens-on-social-media-like-and-fo
mo-anxiety-digital-life/

Micky Morrison, a mom of two in Islamorada, Florida, says she finds Internet
acronyms "baffling, annoying and hilarious at the same time."

She's none too pleased that acronyms like "LOL" and "OMG" are being adopted
into conversation, and already told her 12-year-old son -- whom she jokingly
calls "deprived," since he does not have a phone yet -- that acronym talk is
not allowed in her presence.

But the issue really came to a head when her son and his adolescent friends
got together and were all "ignoring one another with noses in their phones,"
said Morrison, founder of  <http://www.babyweight.tv/> BabyWeightTV.

"I announced my invention of a new acronym: 'PYFPD.' Put your freaking phone
down."

LOL!

But back to the serious issue at hand, below are 28 Internet acronyms, which
I learned from Greer and other parents I talked with, as well as from sites
such as  <http://www.noslang.com/top20.php> NoSlang.com

http://www.noslang.com/top20.php

and  <http://www.netlingo.com/top50/acronyms-for-parents.php> NetLingo.com,

http://www.netlingo.com/top50/acronyms-for-parents.php

and from
<http://coolmomtech.com/2014/07/texting-acronyms-and-phrases-parents-should-
know/> Cool Mom Tech's 99 acronyms and phrases that every parent should
know.

http://coolmomtech.com/2014/07/texting-acronyms-and-phrases-parents-should-k
now/

After you read this list, you'll likely start looking at your teen's texts
in a whole new way.

1. IWSN - I want sex now

2. GNOC - Get naked on camera

3. NIFOC - Naked in front of computer

4. PIR - Parent in room

5 CU46 - See you for sex

6. 53X - Sex

7. 9 - Parent watching

8. 99 - Parent gone

9. 1174' - Party meeting place

10. THOT - That hoe over there

11. CID - Acid (the drug)

12. Broken - Hungover from alcohol

13. 420 - Marijuana

14. POS - Parent over shoulder

15. SUGARPIC - Suggestive or erotic photo

16. KOTL - Kiss on the lips

17. (L)MIRL - Let's meet in real life

18. PRON - Porn

19. TDTM - Talk dirty to me

20. 8 - Oral sex

21. CD9 - Parents around/Code 9

22. IPN - I'm posting naked

23. LH6 - Let's have sex

24. WTTP - Want to trade pictures?

25. DOC - Drug of choice

26. TWD - Texting while driving

27. GYPO - Get your pants off

28. KPC- Keeping parents clueless

To subscribe to Dan's tips starting on January 5 2015 or HotSpot with God
Daily Devotional, send a blank message and include "subscribe Dan's Tips" or
Subscribe HotSpot with God" in the subject line.

"A New Year's Plan

I tried to think of a clever new phrase-
A slogan to inspire the next 365 days,
A motto to live by this coming New Year,
But the catchy words fell flat to my ear.

And then I heard His still small voice With each new dawn and close of day

Make new your resolve to trust and obey."

Mary Fairchild

This message has been scanned by Norton 360