[accesscomp] Dan's tip of the day

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:43:36 -0800

    Sites for Friday December 21, 2012

1.  614 Places for Free eBooks
OnlineShareEmailEarnFacebookTwitterGoogle+Lockerz
Updated 18. December 2012 - 14:56 by mr6n8
Links inserted by Dan Thompson.
The main page link is below for accessing all these great free ebook, audio
books and others.
If using a screenreader, when reaching the link below, press the letter h
until reaching the heading of:
"614 Places for Free eBooks Online"

Then arrow down to the  title of "introduction."  The rest is easy to follow
and exlore.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/50-places-free-books-online.htm

Introduction
This is a listing of 614 sites that legally offer free books (eBooks) for
download or for online viewing.

Some time ago I went looking for some free eBooks and was surprised to find
that there are many resources for this.  I decided to put together this list
of sites that offer free eBooks as a reference.  Originally, the list was
for 50 sites (hence that number in the link) and I thought that was a lot.
Given the large listing, you may want to check out the various Genre pages
that I have put together.

Speaking of genre pages, I will point out that the entries on the Comics and
Graphic Novels page are not listed in this master list.  Although I am a big
comic and graphic novel fan, too many of these do not qualify as books.  I
will go through that listing and add in the graphic novel links here when I
have the time.  Anyhow, the point is, if you are looking for that type of
material, then you will have to look on that page.

I have tried to make certain that all of the eBooks at these sites are
legally available for viewing/downloading.  However, it is possible that I
have made a mistake.  If you suspect any of these sites of illegally
offering copyrighted materials, then please let me know through the comments
below.

Putting this together was exhausting, but the list is not exhaustive, so I
encourage you to post any sites that you know of that are not listed here.

The listing here is in alphabetical order. Given the size of this list now,
it has been seperated into different sections alphabetically for hopefully
easier access.  You may also search by genre.  I have set up 21 pages here
of different genres and two pages for different formats (Kindle compatible
and ePub).. If you do not see one that covers your interests, let me know
and I may be able to put one together.

I have also put together a listing of sites that offer free and legal audio
books at

113  Places For Free Audio Books Online

These listings may be searched in the following methods:

Alphabetical Listing - A listing of the site names in alphabetical order
Listing by Genre - Links to pages here for different book genres (20)
Online Local Libraries - These sites have links to local libraries which
have much content for members
At the start of this article is the main link to this page. However, here it
is again.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/50-places-free-books-online.htm
2. I (Dean Martineau) am part of a screening committee helping a donor
wishing to donate adaptive
technology to one or more K-12 students who will use it well and who would
not otherwise be able to
obtain it. This offer is not limited to students in the US. Approximately
$3,000.00 USD worth of
equipment can be made available, which can cover the price of some braille
displays, laptops, tablets
and reading devices. There is a preference for providing braille hardware,
but all requests will be
considered. If you have, or are, a student who meets the criteria of
potential effective use and genuine
inability to obtain the equipment any other way, write to
dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx describing the
student and his or her equipment needs, concisely but thoroughly. This will
be an informal and fairly
rapid process. If the right candidate(s) are found, they obviously will not
receive their new technology
on Christmas, but they might be able to know it is coming, and should
receive it in January.

3.  A few years ago, the December and January issues of FSCast were taken up
by a well-constructed
two-part tutorial on the use of iTunes with JAWS, also quite useful to users
of other Windows screen
readers. Now, with the release of iTunes 11, history is repeating itself,
and the first part of the current
two-part tutorial formed the content of the December, 2012 issue of FSCast:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/FSCast/episodes/fscast073-december2012.asp

4.  Access Technology Institute has release its $80 textbook, "An Immersion
into Windows 8 with
JAWS for Windows":
http://www.blindtraining.com/shop/win8-jfw.htm

5.  Another no-frills search engine you can use in case you think Google is
getting too complicated:
http://startpage.com/

6.  some dramatic audio stories, visit:
http://www.donnajodhan.com/
7.   There's a new app for iOS to help people learn VoiceOver. It's called
VoStarter. Read about it,
with some feedback, here:
http://www.fredshead.info/2012/12/learning-how-to-use-voiceover-with.html
8.   Here is a direct link to a presentation about Android given at the
Computer Center for Visually
Impaired Persons at Baruch College:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ccvipdemo

9.  In podcast updates:

You can follow the "How to be Blind Roundtable Podcast" here:
http://htb2.com/

There are now nearly twenty podcasts on the AppleVis site with David
Woodbridge demonstrating
various features of the Mac:
http://www.applevis.com/podcasts/tags/mac-os-x

Join David Woodbridge on a Tour of his iPhone's Home Screen:
http://www.applevis.com/podcast/episodes/join-david-woodbridge-tour-his-ipho
nes-home-screen

Robert Acosta, President
Helping Hands for the Blind
Email: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: www.helpinghands4theblind.org

You can assist Helping Hands for the Blind by donating your used computers to
us. If you have a blind friend in need of a computer, please mail us at the
above address.