[accesscomp] Dan's tip of the day

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:48:25 -0800

    Websites of The week of December 10/14 2012
1.  Here is a collection of 2001 statistics for computer technology use
among minors from the National Telecommunications and Information
Administration:  http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/dn/html/Chapter5.htm
Featured

2.  The Ocean Portal at Smithsonian Museum
Updated 2. December 2012 - 2:00 by rhiannon
<http://www.techsupportalert.com/users/rhiannon>
The Ocean Portal is part of the Smithsonian Museum
<http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/ocean-portal-smithsonian-museum-web
site-week.htm> . You'll find everything ocean here, from unusual organisms
to ocean inspired art. Best of all, you don't need to live near an ocean to
enjoy it.

One of the things I wanted to be when I was growing up was Jacques Cousteau.
I know Jacques Cousteau isn't a thing but when you're a kid that's how you
think. :)
What I like about this site is that I don't have to go anywhere to learn
about ocean related things from all over the world. The other thing I like
about this site is that the content is interesting and appropriate for most
ages, not dry and boring as some science can be at times.
If you enjoy anything related to the ocean, this site is a great  place to
visit.
The Ocean Portal <http://ocean.si.edu/>
http://ocean.si.edu/

3.  Window-Eyes version 8 is now officially released, featuring
much-improved web navigation, the ability to boot into safe mode, support
for Windows 8, and much more:
http://www.gwmicro.com/Window-Eyes/Latest_Features/
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0010hjC5n3jpgBnuL2-zrnSlJT4t3VUN8n6cTA33kdoXMUA
s8K_-L_ZnZAglN9QfkzQoOOVeMbFnaIz6KwklwVLHJcUW1TRT1vXiu1MJCNKq30HStYeyx8e4bhW
oiltjxN7wxp4FdoKNf4AotqMJf9iM9DBPszm6a8W>
4.   You can now buy Vocalizer voices for Window-Eyes. Sample them here:
http://www.gwmicro.com/voices/
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0010hjC5n3jpgD4MG4JYkyBdnpOsiYjS3YK8Pso07WFCV5j
w9KGx1y46rQoBJNfIOQmy_r3ybKf-62tnYjdauLQKgTcdyhobSauw5fqVzWuojhngZA_wcD0aiHS
g_9oEQH->

5.  CAVI is finishing up its first audio editing course, with another one
due to start in February. Students completed final editing projects. One
student put together a production at once insightful, hilarious and
technically competent, depicting different screen readers courting her
favor. This is the direct link:
http://t.co/TY54gzxo
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0010hjC5n3jpgBcARikGJRc9X9H640kPYtN_jB5DArt8_7V
8GhwJvmzwN6JyxA_-2LNq41R5rBXgaFFzAufVcIqWGY0KdiMW-Nib5p8SWXGJR8=>

6.  The WGBH / National Center for Accessible Media (NCAM) has produced a
free e-book, "Creating Accessible iBooks Textbooks with iBooks Author":
http://ncam.wgbh.org/about/news/creating-accessible-ibooks
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0010hjC5n3jpgDQDgwQKdubzDFIDtX4ymiORvLURA4l6Hlr
KUd9bnL1YYj55HEw_nSPW7owLoOheZGyxptrn9wOUjLLiqrv5bUjDYru4xjtaUoLCYX25oo_u2uo
GS8gPtZcIZZ_ZptebpHfXKjAqH7MUAtjkrEcdemLkQv7uRyLAXY=>

7.   Braille Sonar is a new iOS app that serves as a reference guide to
contracted Braille and Nemeth code symbols. This is the iTunes link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/braille-sonar/id577954633?mt=8
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0010hjC5n3jpgAtfLqm3WEIlEvm2lm7vm-b5sblj13XxSUJ
tvZ-iWQcuIIJjoaHSY58B4pPppas6HnystLCGzJtWcqiI3OIrVAKcHbWxcQnhRzW_y1Yoth-_SKn
HOaY8S172ZaiSyJXC4_I2T2flbXKqumAik8nzKddeBlXpczZnXqKOmVuuSlSJA==>
8.  Code Factory announces Mobile Accessibility version 2.0 for Android,
offering access to Jelly Bean on tablets, two new apps for increased
productivity and some improvement in Braille support:
http://www.codefactory.es/MA/en/MA_manual_en.html
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0010hjC5n3jpgCgge2kNabx8mEsnsBTrO9GbrUqv9fT0hYX
h9Utpks_kbCpXJoMt7lCaiWjZVwOyADJnoBgEjhgEljWwY_wfSwkgzJwr9t8fD0oCWRk1qkx3gHL
SNLpGNdq3Hg7qwwIrnVqyERTD7nBVg==>
9) EASI offers a free webinar, "IMS Access for All version 3: Accessibility
Through Personalization" on Monday, 17 December at 19:00 GMT. To register,
go to:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0010hjC5n3jpgAiIqERxH2oczb-yh-UhM991kr4SZQ282_i
I-K1Q5UAvF1HQ-TI5LgZzMM1Dyw5yk3VytAYESVQPtASWtIFMNGYjaFbJc1yitAOcHrII9J0xg==

To learn what they'll be talking about, go to:
http://www.imsglobal.org/accessibility/
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0010hjC5n3jpgCRcHaAqZjc5Ys1Mh15UVHXXRsSS7jsvIy_
Nhb8yyeBsHIh2rhtkM3TO2h08NosYXRVfZcxnVO-iiCfwTsA0Hqp8iNDYpfUmZmj3yAaM7wzndNb
qFK2RCw_or5StnHr2TM=>
10 Learn about the new features and structure of the NLS BARD website in the
US on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 18 December at 00:00 in the Pat Price
Training Room. Archives of this and earlier presentations are also available
here:
http://www.accessibleworld.org/
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0010hjC5n3jpgDdncIGv_yZB9nmVnXTAqZ65aV4ImWv1rX8
mbV1UkJjRiRXCRe9X9-f8WowpPrefLXz6l1RGPU_69OCZBO472JBPP3OshWOd_bTSbToP8g9LO7q
599RDq-x> 6.

Send messages to dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx
This message has been scanned by Microsoft Security essentials
Frog:  Forever rely on God.

"

Robert Acosta, President
Helping Hands for the Blind
Email: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: www.helpinghands4theblind.org

You can assist Helping Hands for the Blind by donating your used computers to
us. If you have a blind friend in need of a computer, please mail us at the
above address.