[accesscomp] Dan's Tip of the day

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 10:30:56 -0700

    Good Day all,

This article will be more revelant after reading the first and second
postings next week.  Monday through Thursday of next week, I am posting a
series of articles regarding "How to Move Windows 7 Personal Folders Like My
Documents to Another Drive", "Symbolic links symlinks hard links soft links
junctions Windows 7", "Symbolic links" and "Nifty Way to Safely Move Folders
or Programs to Another Drive or Partition in Windows 7."   Information in
today's posting is necessary for carrying out some of the actions next week.
Thanks for accepting these postings in your email and have a great day.

Quick Ways to Open the Windows Vista/7 Command Line with Administrator
(Elevated) Privileges

Updated 19. September 2011 - 6:32 by v.laurie

Many of the applications of the command line are involved with
administrative tasks. In Windows XP systems, that generally presents nothing
new. In Windows Vista and Windows 7, however, User Account Control (UAC)
will require that you elevate the command line to run as administrator even
when you are logged into an administrator account. I described one way to do
this in a previous tip.

The article can be found here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/perhaps-most-under-appreciated-tool-windows-command-line.htm

If you need to use the command line frequently with administrator
privileges, you might want a quicker method. Here are two ways to save time.

Windows Vista/7 keyboard shortcut for running command line as administrator

1.    Open the Start menu
2.     Enter "cmd" (without quotes) in the box labeled "Start search"
(Vista) or "Search programs and files" (Windows 7)
3.    Then press the keyboard combination Ctrl+Shift+ Enter. (Hold down all
three keys.)
4.    Answer "Yes" when the UAC dialogue comes up, You can also use the
keyboard combination Alt+C to confirm.

Create a shortcut for a command line prompt with elevated privileges

If you are like me and use the command line a lot, consider creating a
shortcut that will directly open a command prompt possessing administrative
privileges.

1.    Right-click an empty spot on the Desktop
2.    In the context menu, select "New"
3.    Select "Shortcut"
4.    In the box labeled "Type the location of the item", enter "cmd.exe"
(without quotes)
5.    Press "Next", give the shortcut a name and choose "Finish"
6.    Right-click the new shortcut icon
7.    Choose "Properties" from the context menu
8.    Click the button "Advanced"
9.    Put a check by "Run as administrator"
10.    Click "OK"

Now you have a shortcut that will open the command prompt with
administrative privileges when double-clicked. This shortcut can be pinned
to the Start menu or (Windows 7) the Taskbar or left on the Desktop. Note
that you will still get the UAC message when you open the command prompt.

To Contact the author with questions, go to the link below.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/users/maxwell

Dan Thompson
dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx
this message has been scanned with microsoft security essentials

Robert Acosta, President
Helping Hands for the Blind
Email: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: www.helpinghands4theblind.org

You can assist Helping Hands for the Blind by donating your used computers to
us. If you have a blind friend in need of a computer, please mail us at the
above address.