[accesscomp] Dan's Tech tip of the day

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:31:13 -0700

            Dan's Tech Tips:

IE Won't Connect To Internet Unless AOL Is On

Published by netty5

- Last update on October 27, 2009 03:54 PM by netty5

IE won't connect to Internet unless I am connected to AOL:

I have three computers networked to a cable modem for shared internet access.
All three computers run Windows XP Home Edition. This setup has worked fine for
years and we could routinely access the internet via AOL, Internet Explorer (v
7) or both at the same time. Several days ago, however, I discovered that I
could not access the internet on either client computer with Internet Explorer
UNLESS I was connected and signed on to AOL. (The main host computer is just
fine).

Thinking that my IE files might have been corrupted I reset them to their
original state. That did not work. So I downloaded a fresh version of Firefox
and installed it. Same problem. Could not connect to the Internet on either
client with Firefox alone. But was successful using Firefox only after
connecting and signing in to AOL.

My Network Diagnosis program points me to network adaptor problems but that
doesn't seem to make sense as I do get internet connectivity provided AOL is
turned on, connected and signed on (AOL is included in my startup files).

The only other thing I can think of is firewall/anti-virus related. I had
recently made some changes on all three machines when AOL/McAfee anti-virus
sent me messages about upgrades and that my computer was not fully protected.
However, I disconnected my McAfee and Firewalls and that did not help. Maybe I
should REMOVE these programs and all my anti-spywares. Or maybe I have a virus
but I have run McAfee, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy and SpySweeper and
found no problems.

I am very leary of removing AOL as it seems to be the only program functioning
properly.

And I can't take the chance of losing total internet access.

Solution

Try this:

Start->Connect to->Show all network connections

Right click on "Local area network"

Click on "Properties"

Then un-check everything except for "TCP/IP protocol", Files and printers
sharing and Client for microsoft networks.

If you don't have anything else except for the above, then it is ok, go to
Advanced tab

Un-check Firewall

press Ok

Restart your PC

If you have any questions about the tips posted in Dan's Tech tips, please
contact Dan at the following email address:

dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx

Robert Acosta
email: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.helpinghands4theblind.org

You can help Helping Hands for the Blind by donating that no longer needed car,
boat, RV or truck and receive maximum legal tax deductions. For more
information click here (http://www.helpinghands4theblind.com/carprogram.html)
or call toll free (866) 244-8464. Be sure to designate Helping Hands for the
Blind when you call. Thank you.