[accesscomp] Dan's Tech Tip

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 08:12:20 -0800

        Dan's Tech Tips:
Sites Of The Week
1. The makers of the free screen reader NVDA announce that 2012.1beta1 has been
released. This version promises a better experience for Braille users, much
more access to format information in Word, and access to the iTunes store.
http://www.nvda-project.org/blog/NVDA2012.1beta1Released
2. New podcast from Applevis site for i-devices, we have:
Three Weather Apps Go Head-To-Head:
http://www.applevis.com/node/2277
NVDA and iTunes:
http://www.applevis.com/node/2276
A Demonstration of the Improved Accessibility Coming Soon to the Hokusai Audio
Editor for iOS:
http://www.applevis.com/node/2275
An In-Depth Demonstration of the Tascam iM2 Stereo Microphone Adapter
http://www.applevis.com/node/2274
Turn Your iPhone into a Motion Detector with VM Alert:
http://www.applevis.com/node/2234
3. Here is lots of technical information about access improvements in version
10 of Firefox:
http://www.marcozehe.de/2012/01/31/new-in-accessibility-in-firefox-10/3.
4. Here you can get a text tutorial for the game King of Dragon Pass:
http://www.applevis.com/node/2284
5. The NFB anticipates some employment opportunities will result from new
regulations requiring video description of more TV shows. They are offering a
training, fourteen to eighteen May, expenses paid, to gain the necessary skills.
http://www.nfb.org/vdrdc
6. From the February, 2012 Braille Monitor come two articles: I Am a Blind
Electrical Engineer:
http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/Publications/bm/bm12/bm1202/bm120204.htm
Mainstream Access to E-Books: My Perspective:
http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/Publications/bm/bm12/bm1202/bm120208.htm
which is accessible:
http://testmy.net/.
8. This article is entitled Jailbreaking Your iPhone 4S Or iPad 2: Not Nearly
As Scary As It Might Sound
http://serotalk.com/2012/01/30/jailbreaking-your-iphone-4s-or-ipad-not-nearly-as-scary-as-it-might-sound/
9. Here is a link to a a List of Siri Commands:
http://www.mactalk.com.au/31/104774-list-siri-commands.html
10. Here is a place to obtain Nine iPhone Apps to Get You out of Bad Situations:
http://www.lockergnome.com/ios/2012/01/25/nine-iphone-apps-to-get-you-out-of-bad-situations
11. Learning ally has created tutorials on how to use their vastly improved
audiobook Manager:
http://www.learningally.org/Training-Support/Learning-Ally-BookShelf-and-Audiobook-Manager/Learning-Ally-Audiobook-Manager-screen-reader-audio-instructions/959/
12. Web Site of the Week (Life's Little Mysteries)
I've been on the mailing list for this site, and I'm always amazed with the
things they come up with. There isn't one particular topic, but if you want to
learn answers to questions you might not have thought to ask, you'll like the
site.
If you're a curious person this is a terrific site - you never know what
they'll come up with next.
The site has these categories for you to browse; Body Mind, Creatures, Culture,
Earth, Space, Entertainment, Money, Sports, Tech, and Weird. Or you can sign up
for the newsletter, join the mailing list, or grab the app for iPad.
That's my description, here's the description from the website:
Life's Little Mysteries answers fascinating questions about the world around
you and the stuff in it, from things in the news and on your mind to crazy
questions you didn't even know you had. Our team of experienced reporters and
editors do serious research while having loads of fun, to explain the world's
objects and phenomena, natural and man-made.
The site content is usually fun and interesting - nothing terribly serious or
disturbing. They have published a book; there are a few ads promoting it but
nothing intrusive - the ads are modeled on the look of the site and fit right
in.
Life's Little Mysteries
http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/
If you have any questions about the tips posted in Dan's Tech tips, please
contact Dan at the following email address:
dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx

Robert Acosta, President
Helping Hands for the Blind
Email: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: www.helpinghands4theblind.org

You can assist Helping Hands for the Blind by donating your used computers to
us. If you have a blind friend in need of a computer, please mail us at the
above address.