[accesscomp] Re: Dan's Tech Tip

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 10:06:09 -0600

My guess is that you either won't be asked for a password if you don't use
one or that you can just leave the field blank.  I haven't automated many
tasks and the last time I did so was perhaps three years ago.  I don't
recall details but I don't use a password and I was able to set up the
task anyway.

Regarding the tip itself, no discussion is given about something that may
make it difficult or not possible to automate Check Disk as described if
the intent is to check the partition where Windows is installed for
errors.  When you run Check Disk, you are asked, if you check the
partition where windows is installed, if you want check Disk to run the
next time Windows boots.  You have to answer the question.  The tip
doesn't address whether and how you can deal with this problem.

also, the tip does not give important information about check disk such as
that there are two ways of running it, one to check for errors in the file
system and another that checks both for errors in the file system and that
checks for physical damage to the hard drive.  You either have to specify
your choice when you run it from the GUI or you have to use a command line
that will tell Check Disk how you want it to run.  And if you use a
command line, you must place it in a batch file, then have Task Scheduler
rrun that batch file.

I don't know if you can set up a line in the batch file that allows you to
get around or answer the question of whether you want check disk to run
the next time the computer reboots.  You can put a line in the batch file
to reboot the computer but that won't accomplish anything unless Check
Disk can be instructed to run after the computer boots.

Gene