[accessbangla] Special art for the blind

  • From: "vashkar vattacharya" <vashkar79@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessbangla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 13:15:25 +0600

Special art for the blind

By Michael D. Mullins, staff writer

Hoboken students share audio/tactile creativity with visually-impaired students

To bring art to a segment of the community that might not commonly experience
it, a group of upperclassman from the Hoboken Charter School created an audio

exhibit for visually-impaired students at St. Joseph's School for the Blind in
Jersey City in which touch, sound, and smell were emphasized.

The idea for the project originated with Charter's art teacher Loren Abbate,
who has worked with eight seniors and one junior since November of 2006 to

create the exhibit.

The exhibit includes thick thread hanging overhead and a bubble-wrapped floor
that students walk across before feeling their way along a multi-dimensional

wall consisting of an array of fabrics, wires, plastics, and even scented oils.

In addition to giving students at St. Joseph's a chance to experience art in a
creative fashion, the charter school students also learned about the different

degrees of blindness, the physiological and psychological sources of it, and
the challenges visually impaired individuals face in society.

"As a service-learning school, our goal was to reach out to others in our
community and give the experience of art to a population that's challenged,"
said

Abbate. "At the same time, I think my students became more appreciative of the
abilities they possess in the process."

She said the materials used in the exhibit were collected through student-led
field trips around Hoboken.

The general consensus among the approximately 50 St. Joseph students who took
part in the interactive exhibit was enjoyment and gratitude, although one

or two of the younger students cried while feeling through the display.

"It was great; I had a lot of fun!" said an ecstatic Tamilah Alexander, a
19-year-old from Irvington who enjoyed the bubble-wrapped floor so much that she

stomped her way across it twice. "I was jumping and popping on them; it sounded
like popcorn, but you couldn't eat it."

Another student who had a good time walking through the exhibit was an
18-year-old from East Orange named Antoine Israel Love.

"They did a good job. It would be nice if more schools did things like this,"
said Antoine.

There was some visual art on display, for those with partial vision. Abbate
said that black and white works were shown because the partially blind can
better

appreciate the contrast they create, whereas colorful displays generally appear
like shades of gray.

The teens from the charter school also appeared to have had a rewarding time.

"Helping other children experience art where otherwise they might not made me
feel good and at the same time sad to see them," said 18-year-old Bianca Cabrera

of the charter school.

One of Cabrera's peers, 16-year-old Simone Longoria, a self-proclaimed artist
who draws, sings, and writes her own music, shared the overall sentiment.

"It felt really good to see [the students] taking part and going through the
exhibit," she said. "I felt like I was doing something good for someone else."

Seventeen-year-old Jamil Torres added, "I enjoyed it very much, I got to see a
lot of how the children feel. There are a lot of people who see art at face

value. Because [the visually impaired students] can't see, their version of art
goes deeper, focusing more on how it actually feels rather than just how

it looks."

Hoboken Charter School

The Hoboken Charter School is one of two charter schools in town, having opened
its doors for the first time on Sept. 8, 1998 after being created by parents

who wanted an alternative to the city's other public schools.

Although the school receives most of its funding through the Hoboken Board of
Education from state and local tax dollars, it does not report to the city's

Board of Education. Instead, it has its own Board of Trustees who handle the
school's curriculum and administrative issues.

The school, which shares its current space at the Demarest Building with high
school kids enrolled in the Hoboken Public School's Alternative Program, does

not charge tuition, but rather holds fundraisers. The proceeds are used to
finance an array of school services for students, who are selected through a

random lottery held before the start of every school year.

There are 249 students currently enrolled in Hoboken Charter, with 191 in the
middle school and 58 in the high school.

Michael Mullins can be reached at

mmullins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18361071&BRD=1291&PAG=461&dept_id=523585&rfi=6