[accessbangla] Re: My blog on ActionAid's website on the decent employment opportunity of youths with disabilities

  • From: "FAVH" <favh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessbangla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:43:49 -0800

Dear Ms. Sayema Chowdhury,

Thank you very much for sharing your significant information on “Development
without decent employment for youths with disabilities” uploaded at the
actionaid’s website and comments on the ability and potentials of the Persons
with Disability as well as the hardship experiences of Mr. Pallab. This
information has made me remember and fallen into the past experience in my life
of 1979 when I had been successful and qualified myself in written test for the
position of office assistant in Bangladesh Krishi Bank. But at the time of my
oral interview one DGM of Krishi Bank HQ ( interviewer) said to me, ”You cannot
work in the bank, it will be difficult for you because you are a physically
handicap.” Then I was rejected and disappointed. Many things flash before my
mind’s eye about the disability situation of Bangladesh of 1991 to 1995 when I
was working with BPKS as Job Placement Officer funded by ADD-UK and I was
assigned to motivate the employers in Bangladesh to provide job for different
types of Persons with Disabilities. I was successful to provide employment
opportunities for 35 Persons with Disabilities. During that period I had to
face so many difficulties to manage jobs for the Persons with Disabilities.
Subsequently some of those disabled persons were dropped out from their job.
However, there is far difference between disability situation of first and 2nd
decade and Asia-pacific decade. Previously the people were not aware of
disability issue. At first professionally I was a science teacher in high
school(1981-1990). But on request of Khondaker Johurul Alam, Chairman, NFOWD, I
started work in the field of disability in 1991. I left BPKS in 2007 when I was
the Sr. Asst. Director. I visited many countries for having training and
attending different International conferences. But still I think what is the
perfect result after obtaining National Policy , UN Standard Rule and UNCRPD
and  what I have got yet. With a sorrowful mind I would like to mention that I
have not yet achieved my full rights as I am a Person with Disability. I was an
associate freedom fighter during 1971 but I have not yet been enlisted as a
Freedom Fighter in the Ministry. Besides, I have not yet become a pension
holder after my father’s death because my father was a government service
holder. I have not yet been inherited the land properties of my parents because
those are still under the possession of my brothers. At this stage, thousands
of people with disabilities are deprived of their rights and opportunities.
Nevertheless, I think, I am fine more than thousands of disabled persons in
Bangladesh.

I highly and really appreciate you as you are sincerely devoted to work with
the Persons with Disabilities. I wish you good luck and bright future.

Best Wishes,

Delower Hossain

Dev. Consultant(Human Rights & Disability)

NFAVH, Uttara, Dhaka

Email: hossaindelower1@xxxxxxxxx

Cell. 01918-854777