[accessbangla] Invitation to join the round table discussion - "Role of Media in Awareness Raising for Proper Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in National Census 2011" on 10th March 2011

  • From: Sayema Chowdhury <Sayema.Chowdhury@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "accessbangla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <accessbangla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 06:21:38 +0000

Dear All,

Greetings from ActionAid Bangladesh.

You are aware that upcoming National Census 2011 will take place during 15th to
19th March 2011.
In 2001 census,  disability related questions (though was pegged as faulty) was
included in the census for the first time,
but due to lack of awareness  people did not provide their information
regarding disability.
As a result, we do not have any  proper and reliable statistics on Disability
in Bangladesh.
This year, BBS incorporated Disability issue in the questionnaire in a more
improved manner and
we are hopeful to get a reliable statistics if people provide their information
regarding disability properly.
So, this is high time to aware people  for providing their information on
disability and media can play a crucial role in this awareness raising.

In this context, Disability Team of ActionAid Bangladesh (AAB) and  National
Disability Forum (NFOWD) are jointly organizing a
roundtable discussion on 10th March 2011 on "Role of Media in Awareness Raising
for Proper Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities  in  National Census 2011".
The event will take place at Reporters Unity Roundtable Conference Room,
Shegunbagicha from 10:00AM to 01:00PM.

Dr. Sadeka Halim, Commissioner - Information Commission, Government of
Bangladesh, has given her kind consent to be our chief guest in the discussion.
Ms. Kamrunnesa Hasan, Deputy Director General :Program - Bangladesh Television
and Ms. Kazi Rosy, Convener - Disability Rights Watch Group will be there as
special guests.

Besides, a number of renowned media professionals will be joining the
roundtable as guests of honor.
They are, Mr. Zahirul Alam, Chief of Correspondence, NTV; Mr. Syed Rahman,
Executive Director, RTV; Mr. Fyzus Salehin, Senior Assistant Editor, Daily
Ittefaque;
Mr. Mostafa Kamal, Deputy Editor, Daily Kaler Kantha; Mr. Mehedi Hasan, Senior
Sub Editor, Daily Sun; Mr. Shahidul Islam Shachhu, Program Manager, Channel I;
Ms. Shahnaz Munni, Additional Chief Reporter, ATN Bangla; Syed Badrul Ahsan,
Editor - Current Affairs, Daily Star and  Mr. Zahid Reza Noor, Feature Editor,
Daily Prothom Alo .

Ms. Rabeya Sultana, Head-GFM, AAB will present the key note paper and Mr. AHM
Noman Khan, ED, Centre for Disability and Development (CDD) will discuss on the
paper as
Designated Discussant. The discussion will be moderated by Mr. Khandaker
Johurul Alam, President, NFOWD
and Mr. Mansur Ahmed Chowdhuri, Member, UN Committee on UNCRPD and Board Member
of, AAB will preside over the round-table.

On behalf of Disability Team of AAB, I would like to invite you cordially to
join our event on 10th March 2011.

With thanks,
Sayema.
_________________________
Sayema Chowdhury
Deputy Manager - Justice for Marginalised & Convenor - Disability Horizontal
Team
ActionAid Bangladesh
Tel: +880 2 8837796, +880 2 9894331
Fax: +880 2 8815087
Email: sayema.chowdhury@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:sayema.chowdhury@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
www.actionaid.org<http://www.actionaid.org>
[cid:image001.gif@01CBDD8B.5F718960]
End poverty. Together.

ActionAid is an international anti-poverty
Agency working in over 40 countries, taking
Sides with poor people to end poverty and
Injustice together

This email message has been delivered safely and archived online by Mimecast.

GIF image