[accessbangla] Fw: Exciting Announcement from TechBridgeWorld regarding the Braille Writing Tutor Project

  • From: "vashkar bhattacharjee" <vashkar79@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessbangla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 14:15:45 +0600

for your information.
please find the attach news and report on the braille project.
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2010 2:34 AM
Subject: Exciting Announcement from TechBridgeWorld regarding the Braille
Writing Tutor Project

Dear Colleagues,

As you know, TechBridgeWorld has been enhancing work on the Braille Writing
Tutor which was first developed through our V-Unit program by Nidhi Kalra and
Tom Lauwers when they were Ph.D. students in the Robotics Institute at Carnegie
Mellon University. Since then, dozens of faculty, students, staff, and partners
have contributed to the success of this project. The Braille Writing Tutor now
has functionality in several languages (English, Arabic, French, Chinese,
Swahili, and Bangla), enhanced practice modes, and several educational games
have been developed and tested with community partners.

We are delighted to announce that version 2 of the Braille Writing Tutor
hardware specifications and an early release of the corresponding software are
now available on SourceForge at the following link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tbwbrailletutor/

Please share this link with your friends and colleagues, especially those who
work with people who are visually impaired and technologists in the open source
community who would be interested in working with the software and sharing
additional language and game functions they might come up with.

The latest work with the Braille Writing Tutor project will be featured at our
upcoming 2010 TechBridgeWorld Interactive event, scheduled for November 11,
2010, 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. in the Newell-Simon Hall Perlis Atrium at Carnegie
Mellon's Pittsburgh campus. If you will be in Pittsburgh at that time we
welcome you to attend and enjoy the event! Details will be posted at
www.TechBridgeWorld.org/Interactive2010.

The Braille Writing Tutor project remains a vibrant and exciting effort among
TechBridgeWorld students, faculty and staff and our partners. I have attached a
few quotes to share with you from this summer's work in Chittagong, Bangladesh
to illustrate the importance of this project and how you have contributed to
its long-term success.

We are happy to address any questions you may have about the project and hope
you are as excited as we are about this open source release of this important
technology!

Sincerely,
--Sarah, on behalf of the TechBridgeWorld Team

Sarah M. Belousov
TechBridgeWorld Project Manager

Join the power of 100@100
http://www.TechBridgeWorld.org/100at100