[accessbangla] Fw: [BANGLA-IT] Bangla text-to-speech and OCR launch at BRAC U on 19/02/09 3pm

  • From: "Mr. Vashkar vattacharya" <vashkar79@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessbangla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 15:58:55 +0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Mumit Khan
To: bangla_ict@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; bdresearchers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2009 9:41 PM
Subject: [BANGLA-IT] Bangla text-to-speech and OCR launch at BRAC U on 19/02/09
3pm

We are pleased to announce the first official release of our Bangla language
processing software packages “Katha” (text-to-speech) and BanglaOCR (optical
character recognition). We invite you to join us in celebrating this occasion
on February 19, 2009 at 3 pm at BRAC University. See the computer create Bangla
unicode text from scanned images and then read out the text. Meet the people
behind it.

We have come a long way, but we have even a longer way to go.

The TTS and OCR run on Linux, Windows and Mac OSX. There is also a web-enabled
front-end for the TTS (and under development for the OCR), making these tools
available at anytime and from anywhere. We are working on better integration
with screen readers in collaboration with the vision impaired community.

The Bangla language processing tools developed at CRBLP are free and open
source software, released under GNU Public License v2, and supported in part by
funding from Canadian IDRC and BRAC University. Please visit CRBLP website
http://www.bracu.ac.bd/research/crblp/ for more information on who we are and
what we do.

Location: 203 Aarong House, BRAC University, 66 Mohakhali C/A
(mention "CRBLP seminar")
Time: 3 pm

--
Mumit Khan, Ph.D.

Professor of Computer Science and Engineering

Head, Center for Research on Bangla Language Processing

BRAC University, Dhaka, Bangladesh

mumit@xxxxxxxxxxx

+(880-2) 882-4051 Extension 4019

__._,_.___
Messages | Links
[Disclaimer: BANGLA-IT Management is not liable for information contained in
this message.
Any views expressed in this article are those of the writer and not of BANGLA
IT. BANGLA IT is not responsible for the content of this article or for any
external internet sites. The views expressed are the author's alone. The author
takes full responsibility.]
Post message: bangla_ict@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Visit http://www.banglait.org for more info

Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to
Traditional
  a..  14New Members
Visit Your Group
Give Back