[accessbangla] Re: Bangladesh takes backward-looking decisions on disability issues!

  • From: "rafiq zaman" <zamanrafiqbd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "zahidul kabir" <zahid.nfowd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:38:41 +0600

Dear All

It is quite normal to refuse the proposed amendment the "Rules of Business"
of the government though it was one of the long-awaited and fundamental
demands of disability movement in Bangladesh. After more than 30 years, the
rules of business had been amended for the first time in 1996 by the Awami
League government. It is one of the fundamental procedures of the
government's activities as like as the constitution. An unelected government
has no rights to change the rules of business. But we did not realize this.
We were overconfident to change this without maintaining the basic ethics of
the citizen. However, I appreciate that our movement (Disability movement)
has been successful to convince major stakeholders who run the government to
amend the rules of business. You see the government now retreats all the
activities which can decide only by the elected government. The government
recently retreats from decision of the extension of the retirement age of
the government officials.  However, the government has been changed the
'Secretariat Instruction' one months ago which is not fundamental policy
change.

Let's start to prepare our new strategy for amending the rules of business.
As a part of new strategy, we must strongly protest this decision of the
government.  By our frequent strong protest, we'll gain more support among
the future stakeholders of the government who will be amend the rules of
business. NFOWD Secretary General Jowaherul Islam Mamun and Jatiyo
Protibondi Uannay Foundation MD Monsur Ahmed Chowdhuri did protest strongly
against this decision yesterday at the observation meeting of the World
White Cane Safety Day 2008 in front of Special Assistance to Honorable Chief
Adviser.

We have been successful to form the committee of the secretaries for
amending the rules of business of the ministries. We can review the proposed
allocation of business for the ministries. Let's initiate the new campaign
for the future elected government to amend the rules of business which is
effective in the long run.

Thanks and Best Regards

Rafiq Zaman