[access-uk] Re: youview

  • From: "Damon Rose" <damon.rose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 08:43:56 +0100

The YouView accessibility hooks, or API, are not planned to be there at
launch in spring 2012. It could be a year later, spring 2013, before you
get access.

And, yes, that access will come, not from the set top box itself - but
via a website or app on a separate laptop, iPhone or mobile phone.

As yet it's unclear as to who will create that computer or app. We
expect that all boxes will somehow have an automatic over the air
upgrade, or an internet pull upgrade, so that I believe at this stage
every box wil be able to have that API on board.

And once it is, you'll be able to view on demand video as well as record
programmes locally on your hard disk.

Some visually impaired people will prefer it being on a separate
interface as it means they don't have to get off the sofa and stick
their noses up against the TV to find the program they want. They will
simply lift their mobile phone to their eyes and stay nice and cosy on
the sofa. So we should perhaps shift away from the idea that a talking
box is the ultimate in access because there may be other ways ... If
they work seemlessly, easily and without fault.

Whether older less techie people can achieve this kind of access though
is one that I assume will be tested.

...Damon