[access-uk] Re: yet more Sky Talker info

  • From: "Damon" <damon.rose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:06:34 +0100

Sorry didn't have chance to comment further after my earlier mail.

I am still not convinced that this box is unable to use the search an scan bar from within the channel. I still think it might be possible to find programmes and record them up to 12 hours ahead from within the channel. If not, then why do they have the record button saying the word 'record' when you hit it. Why voice something that is redundant within the Sky ecosystem?

I find it incredibly difficult to believe sky would have brought out a product that allows you to record but doesn't let you play back. Though there is the possibility still pending that the box won't let you record either despite the fact that Sky+ boxes are mainly adored for their innovative dual recording ability.

Could it be that these boxes were on the drawing board so many years ago that, now they've come to being made, they're already obselete? It wouldn't have felt quite so unusual had these talkers been released just for the older set top boxes that couldn't record around in 1998 to 2003.

Oh and I suspect that it hasn't got up on the website or been communicated effectively because there is low budget here and the device is probably a low priority within the corporation. I think we need to be very careful about a response to this because it could all be the work of a few dedicated members of staff who have had a passion to get an accessible box out there. If that's the case, they are going to need some kind of support and encouragement. But it is tricky because blind people do want to be taken seriously over this.

I say again that I strongly believe that we need legislation to make access happen in a sensible way in the future. Things are moving and changing so fast in the 21st century that when access solutions are found and marketed, they're already obselete as far as many of us are concerned e.g. the Goodman's Freeview box that doesn't record and the Sky box which may not give access to the EPG or ability to record either. We should note that red button services are inaccessible on all boxes still and that the new YouView Freeview replacement which comes out in the second quarter of 2011 has no plans to give access to the red button or new intreractive services planned on it. But by all accounts, RNIB customer services are pleased with the number of peple who have bought the new Goodman's box so go figure.

What I think peple should be calling for is a new openness from RNIB and broadcasters on these things. I suspect this will come.

But we do need to wait and see what this talkerbrings us. I suspect Sky aren't together on their communications yet; it certainly feels that way.

...Damon

----- Original Message ----- From: "john gallagher" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>