[access-uk] Re: xp pro and media center

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:37:08 +0100

Andy, although I'm not George, can I maybe clarify a little for you here on
what Windows Media Center is?

Really, its XP under another name, but with the difference that the emphasis is
on media access, be it audio, video, organising of same, access to electronic
information on things like schedules etc. all bundled together in 'Media
Center' and the way it presents and organises all things media.  Its not
hardware, it just runs on a PC like other flavours of Windows.  Also, I think
it has integrated scheduled recording of TV programs and maybe audio too.

It used only to be bundled with computers, but, and I may be wrong here, I
think it can be bought in a consumer edition now.  Doubtless someone will
correct me if I am wrong.

When you think about it it could well turn out to be a solution for us as we
cannot see the often very menu driven and visually opperated hardware media
centres there are about.  You would imagine that if JFW got the scripts, and
the other access softwarehad a bit of a rewrite, it should be possible for us
to access this Media Center version of Windows.  Then again, maybe its not as
simple as that.
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx