[access-uk] Re: xp pro and media center

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 23:32:48 +0100

Actually Andy, computers are around that are as quiet as a video recorder, and
ones that are completely silent, as near as darn it!  Very quiet fans, or no
fans are used in some instances.  Hard disks enclosed in soundproof enclsures
are used to combat noise from that source.

In the sound recording field, perhaps Carrilon computers have become a
benchmark for this sort of machine.  As well as being very, very quiet, they
are optimised for audio recording  There are other firms too that are expliting
this nich of the market.

More in the mainstream, you have firms such as Hi Grade, who have marketed a
Media Center computer for a couple of years or so now.  Almost sure Sony does
too, though being Sony you pay a high premium for the style.

So, in short Andy, there are no shortage of really quiet machines around, and
some are priced not too disimilarly to the noisy one you've got.  Maybe for my
own reference I'll do some searches on media and quiet Pcs.

As for the Window-Eyes issue and MC, as Peter says, maybe there is a heavy
reliance on MSAA,  but I don't see that necessarily as abad thing.  I think in
the next year there are bound to be reviews of these things on programs like
Main Menu, and the newer and growing list at cooltechaudio list.  Its a trend
in the merging of Pcs and multimedia that is hardly likely to be overlooked by
blind people;  quite the reverse..
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx