[access-uk] Re: xp network problem

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 22:12:35 -0000

Hi,

Start | run | cmd to get command prompt up.  Doing ipconfig won't do
anything from run prompt because the command window will open, the
program will run, display the info, then exit cleanly, causing the
window to close only momentairly afterwards.

The 1394 connection (I assume your message meant this) would also show
up as a network device, it is a small port which sort of resembles a USB
port but will have a edge to it (sorry for explaining this poorly).  It
is for connecting cameras etc, and gives high data transfer rates.  You
may not have a connector, as there may not be a port on the case, so the
pinouts on the motherboard would be there, they just wouldn't go to
anything.  On this machine which also has both ports, I have two items
in the network applet, that of the LAN (Realtek Gigabit NIC) and a Via
1394 controler.

As for the drivers, where exactly are you getting these from?

Also, just checking you are looking in the right place, are you getting
to device manager by going into control panel | system | hardware |
device manager?

Andrew.