[access-uk] Re: writing the underscore in computer braille on the u2 mini

  • From: "Carol.Pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:45:30 +0100

Hi Julie and Rachmund, and anyone else interested:

OK, sorted again and here are my findings ...

There are "oddities" when writing with Braille Sense, translating and sending via email, etc. These are mainly to do with the letter sign which seems to get inserted into URLS on received emails. I have raised this with S&S but haven't received clarification so just do the best I can when I write.

The other awful one seems to be the underscore but here's what I know.

This will go pretty crazy, producing figures 6's, and/or plus signs, if you start playing with the Grade of Braille to use.

I have only got it working properly in the following circumstances.

I sent an email from the computer to the Braille Sense to confirm which character it was showing. That was right. It was the "OW" sign with the addition of dot 7. (I was using 8 dot Braille at the time I read the email but I could have used 6 dot).

You can make it correctly by using this sign but only (I think) in a .txt file. You can use either the uppercase or (if in eight-dot mode) dot 7 (backspace) along with the "OW" sign.

The problems come when you decide to look at it in contracted Braille and/or Grade 1. Then it shows the characters I indicated earlier.

My advice therefore is, if you must use it, do it only in a text file. I have swapped Braille grades with some success at the start but then as I change between them and/or read what I have written, it all goes haywire again!

Hope this is enough!

Carol P

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rajmund" <brajmund2000@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Carol Pearson <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx for DMARC)
To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, 25 June 2015 5:00 pm

Hi Julie,

I haven't time to look it up now, but I will try to do so tomorrow. Are used to use it, but did have trouble with this one. Somehow it seemed that it was a little bit suspect! Not quite sure why either! Anyway, I did get it to work, and will look it up as soon as I can. If you don't hear from me and don't get an answer, please write to me again tomorrow. I will look it up! Sorry I can't do it now!

Carol P
Sent from my iPhone using MBraille

On 25 Jun 2015, at 8:42 am, julie rodaway <guidingpaws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi List

When I type u with space and the contraction for "ing" after it, the braillesense doesn't seem to recognise this as an underscore sign.

So, does anybody know what I owd be typing in instead?

Best wishes, Julie.
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"subject=unsubscribe]
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"subject=faq]

** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"subject=unsubscribe]