[access-uk] Re: windows pc vs mac

  • From: David Griffith <daj.griffith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:07:34 +0100

There are pos and cons of having a Mac but nowadays I tend to spend more time
on the Mac than Windows as I increasingly prefer the OS.
Of course the Mac can also runWindows, even with the Mac OS if you use Fusion
so you can have the best of both worlds..

However there is a definite learning curve to learning to use the Mac. I got a
Mac ;in 2011 and I am still learning all the time. If you have some sight
transferring to the Mac  will not be so much of a learning curve but using
Voiceover is very different from using Windows Screenreaders. In some areas
voiceover is more powerful than any Windows screenreader but in others less so.
What is undeniable is that you need to learn a whole new skill set, people
often forget how much they invested in learning Windows and a similar effort
will be required to get the most out of OS and Voiceover.
iTunes is most definitely accessible an as are the majority of applications
which come from Apple.

I copy below some Podcasts I have done on using the Mac which may give you an
idea. There are a couple on iTunes.

Podcast List

Using  Safari on the Mac Part 5. Strategies for using and customising the
Reading List.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/wmbw5w
<applewebdata://FD1A17F0-37B4-4D07-B215-F38A11E830A8/%22>

Previous Podcasts
Using Safari on the Mac Part 4. Flexible Web with Sweet spots and Reader
commands.
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/alr2yi

Using Safari on the Mac Part 3 Bookmarking part 2- Launching bookmarks and
bookmarks folders from the Desktop / or the Dock.
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/04aj3b
<applewebdata://FD1A17F0-37B4-4D07-B215-F38A11E830A8/%22>

Blank URL document template to use if dragging and dropping does not work on
your Mac to create bookmark shortcuts.
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/gvj63a

Using Safari on the Mac  Part   2  . Bookmarking Part 1  Bookmarking,
organising bookmark folders and
and organising quick access to Favourite web sites through the Favourites bar
keystrokes.
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/fpye9z

Using Safari on the Mac Part 1 – The pros and cons of Quick Nav and the Web
rota.
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/qtftnl

Using VLC to play upto 1000  Radio Stations on the Mac
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/uev995

Working Radio Stream Folder and sub folders containing over 1,000 Radio Streams
as explained in the above Podcast.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/8v58fh

Using VLC to play an RNIB Talking Books on the Mac with Variable Speed.
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/kve0ky.

Easy Music Listening with Column Browser in iTunes
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/gp431y

iTunes Part 2 Using Playlist to listen to RNIB and Mp3 Talking Books
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/e6kohy

Spell Checking on the Mac Part 1
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/uuul6e
Spell Checking on the Mac Part 2
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/z5wvc8

Part 3 Proof Reading on the Mac.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/b3m395

An Introduction to the QFeed RSS Newsreader on the Mac
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/02uu48

Adding an RSS Feed from Safari to QFeed.
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/tr5unm
on