[access-uk] Re: windows 8 laptop with narrator or NVDA?

  • From: Paul Warner <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 01:13:44 +0000

Hi Alistair,

Don't waste time with Narrator.  NVDA is so much better.

Windows 8.1 does reintroduce the Start button but this makes no difference to screen reader users who have always been able to open the Start menu by pressing the Windows key anyway. If you are going to be using Skype a lot, you will want to know that GW Connect, a more accessible alternative to the usual Skype application, does not work with Windows 8.1.

For podcast tutorials on NVDA, try Joseph Lee's series which takes you through the NVDA user guide at http://www.nvda-kr.org/en/.

I have produced some tutorial podcasts myself on more advanced aspects, there being a four-part series entitled Special navigation features in NVDA on my website at http://www.vict-consultancy.co.uk/content/podcasts.html.

If Santa is really good to you this year, you might even want to find vTurbo and vMouse in your Christmas stocking...

Regards,

Paul

On 09/11/2013 22:07, Alistair wrote:
Looks like santa is going to bring a new laptop for Christmas,which will come with windows 8. Can anyone point me in the direction of any helpful podcasts, tutorials etc to get me started? I will of course read any info from the NVDA site etc but a pointer or 2 would be great! Also is it the case that there is no start menu in windows 8 but there is in 8.1? any guidance would be welcome!
thank you!
alistair

--
Paul Warner VICT Consultancy Software development and assistive technology training www.vict-consultancy.co.uk Sales of vTurbo and vMouse for NVDA trigger donations by our sponsor to NV Access