[access-uk] wanted: advice on recording telephone calls?

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BCAB Discussion List <bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 13:18:05 +0100

Hello Everyone.

On occasion, I've found it very useful to record telephone calls with the third party's permission of course for reference when speaking to customer services. I have been using a digital olympus voice recorder that I manually have to activate every time I wish to record a call. I would like to be able to automate call recording if i'm making a few phone calls throughout the day. I have found a very useful peace of windows software called snooper that automatically splits your recordings, allows you to record to a host of different file formats and even backs recordings up to a network share or dropbox if required. the problem I have is how to get the recording output from my BT socket to my computer. what i've tried so far:

A 3.5MM to RJ12 lead available from maplin. this lead plugs in to your socket and the other end in to any device that accepts input from a 3.5MM audio jack. however because of the hum on the line and the hum generated by computer sound cards, this lead will not be able to do the job, having tried it the quality's awful.
plugging the lead in to my voice recorder. this is what i'm currently using.
TrueCall: didn't find the unit fantastic. recordings are saved in wav format, you have to use software to transfer them to your computer and if the SD card becomes corrupted you have to send back to truecall for them to repair it. it would be a lot more convenient if you could just format it and stick it back in to the unit. Also, it would be nice to have freedom to record for more than 140 hours. too unreliable for my needs so please don't suggest it.

Do they still make voice modems for windows7? I know some older 56K modems did include an audio function that would link the modem to your PC, but i haven't seen a modem in years that would work with windows7.
Does anyone have any ideas on anything else I could try? I suppose I could buy a switchboard, that'd allow me to have music on hold for rogue callers. any recommendations for a decent call recorder with split functionality per calls, switchboards, modems, computer adapters or anything else i've not thought of would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance,

Mo.