[access-uk] Re: voice reader

  • From: "Darren Brewer" <darren.m.brewer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 18:47:51 +0100

Hi John

Here are some instructions I wrote a while ago on how to use the card reader.

To begin with you need to insert the 2 AAA batteries, If you feel along
both edges of the card reader you will feel some small spring clips.  By
pushing both of them at once in the same direction a cover will slide back
from underneath the unit. The cover is about half as long as the unit so
you'll know when you have released it. The position of the batteries is
unusual, in that they don't go together, one goes on the left and one on the
right. If you feel around you'll find the springs that go against the
negative, or flat end of the battery.

Once you have inserted both batteries, slide the cover back into place.

Now if you hold the unit so the keypad is nearest your chest and the smooth
display is furthest away from you then you have it held correctly. If you
feel along the left edge you will find the spring clip and just above it you
will feel a small hole. That is the jack  for plugging in the ear phone.

At the top of the unit above the display, you will feel a small step or
ledge , this is where you insert your card. To insert the card correctly you
must have the magnetic strip on the left and have it facing down. The card
will only slide in a few centimetres, so don't force it.

If you feel the keyboard you will find the raised bump on the number 5 as
usual.

Above the buttons 1 2 and 3 are 4 function buttons, they are from left to
right, Identify, Respond, Sign and M.

The M stands for Menu and it allows you to alter the contrast of the LCD
display. It also tells you the software version and the third thing is
called counter, not too sure what that is at the moment,

There are 3 more function buttons each located to the right of the numerical
keypad.

So next to 3 is C, which I think is cancel.
next to 6 is CL, probably clears the entry if you made a mistake.
next to 9 is OK, press after entering pin or other info.

Just above and to the right of the M button is a button with an R on it. R
stands for repeat. So by pressing this it will repeat what was last spoken.

There are two ways to switch the unit on. You can either just insert your
card or  press the button that is located just above and to the left of the
Identify button. This button will also switch the unit off when pressed.

when you first switch it on the voice says.  Insert card or menu, or if you
just insert your card it will say, checking, select function.

Now press the respond button and it will prompt you for your pin. After
entering it press OK to confirm. It will then ask you to enter a number.

The number you must enter will be given on the natwest website or whatever
site you are trying to make a purchase on. The number will probably be
referred to as the authorization number. You must enter this number and
press OK.

A security number will then be generated which you must enter on the website
to confirm your identity. If you didn't quite catch the security number when
it was spoken, you can always press the repeat button to hear it again.

I think that's everything. Once verified you can remove your card and switch
the reader off, although I bet it goes off by itself after a while.

Hope that helps.

Darren.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Gallagher" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>