[access-uk] victor Stream Announcing Version 3.1

  • From: Colin r. Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, avios@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, NTExpress@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:16:15 +0000

From: Steve Pattison <srp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:27:06 +1100

Dear Victor Reader Friends:

HumanWare is please to announce the release of new Stream 3.1 software.
Stream
3.1 is a free release that responds to popular requests received from many
Stream customers. New features include:

- Multi-level Talking Books bookshelf. The ability to create nested folders
on
the Other Books, Podcast, and Text File bookshelves introduced in version
3.0
has been extended to include the Talking Books bookshelf. You can now
optionally
create nested folders within the $VRDTB bookshelf folder and navigate the
structure while browsing the Talking Books bookshelf.

- For our friends in Spain we now support the Spanish braille electronic
text
files with a file type of .BRA. At the time of this announcement the Spanish
3.1
is not yet available but we are working with our partner in Spain to release
it
as soon as possible.

- The popular percentage announcement on the Where Am I key that informs you
how
much of the book you have listened to has been extended to Talking Books and
Audible books.

- When you set a start position for a Highlight bookmark the End position
can
now be set with a single key press of the Bookmark key.

- The navigation UNDO feature has been extended to the Go To Page function.

- We have introduced two shortcuts to reach the start or end of a book. To
quickly jump to the beginning of a book press the Go To key once and then
press
the Rewind key once. To reach the end of the book press the Go To key and
then
the Fast Forward key.

- When you press Cancel to end a recording the Stream will now ask you to
confirm. This prevents stopping a recording accidentally.

- Stream 3.1 will allow you to copy DAISY books from USB flash media such as
flash memory sticks or the NLS cartridges used by the NLS library in the USA
and
the AFWA library in Western Australia. Each USB flash book must be in its
own
folder. When you attach a cartridge or flash media the Stream will
automatically
start playing the first DAISY book on the media. Once the book is playing
you
can optionally press key 3 to copy it to the Talking Books bookshelf of your
SD
card.

Stream 3.1 also includes several bug fixes. Please see the Release Notes for
full details.

Both the software and Release Notes can be downloaded from the Stream
support
page at:

http://www.humanware.com/stream_support

Select the Software link on that page. You will find the Release Notes at
the
top of the English 3.1 software download links. You can choose from two
English
versions one with Samantha + Tom text-to-speech voices and another with
Samantha
+ Daniel (UK) voices. You can upgrade to version 3.1 from any prior Stream
version. To install the new software, follow these steps:

- Download the software zip file

- Unzip the single UPG upgrade file from the zip file. You do not need
special
unzip software. Simply press Enter to open the zip file and you can then
select
the UPG file.

- Copy this UPG file to the root of your Stream SD card.

- Disconnect the Stream from the computer, connect it to AC power and turn
it
on.

- The Stream will automatically start the update process which takes about 2
minutes during which time it will announce intermittent "please Wait"
messages.
The Stream will power off when the new software is installed.

- When you power back on the UPG file will be automatically removed from
your SD
card.

After the new software is installed, an html Release Notes document will
also be
available in a HumanWare sub-folder of your Text Bookshelf so you may read
the
Release Notes with your Stream. The html version allows you to navigate the
Release Notes section by section using the 2/8 keys to select the level and
keys
4 and 6 to move between sections.

With this announcement, version 3.1 is available in Danish, Dutch, English,
Finnish, French, German, Norwegian, Polish, and Swedish. As other languages
become available they will be posted on the same download page. We also are
working on a new version of the Stream Companion software for Windows which
will
be announced on the Newswire when it is available.

HumanWare values your continued support of the Victor Reader Stream. We
remain
committed to our customers to make the Stream the most powerful, flexible,
and
enjoyable product used for listening to digital talking books, computer
files,
and music.

Thank you,
The HumanWare Team