[access-uk] Re: tom tom

  • From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:51:52 -0000

Hi Terry

I think Wayfinder might be the way to go with this if you want to try it, as
Wayfinder is officially supported by Talks.  I have to be honest and say that
I'm really not having much success with it.  The information it provides would
seem to be more relevant to cars (even in pedestrian mode), and I haven't
personally found the support of Wayfinder to be enough to get me around
unfamiliar environments.  Whether this is just because I've led a sheltered
life :) and did very badly in geography at school, because I'm expecting too
much of it, because I need something a bit more "chatty" than Wayfinder (like
the Trekker), or because the Wayfinder software really isn't up to much as a
mobility aid, I can't say.

I set up a list for people to discuss mainstream GPs technology and its use by
visually impaired people, which you can subscribe to by sending a message to
mainstream-gps-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with the word "subscribe" in the subject line.  So far we have a lot of members
and hardly any traffic, so either everyone else has sussed it and is quite
happy, or there are a lot of people like me, the list moderator, without much
of an idea.

Hope this helps

James