[access-uk] Re: to keith re image for linux

  • From: Keith Barrett <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:54:23 +0100

Hi John,

Well, you may well be right, I am not inclined to do complete backups but these are the instructions for using makedisk under windows, taken from the manual of immage for linux.

Quote starts
Follow these steps to use the MakeDisk utility under Windows to create a bootable Image for Linux disc; the MakeDisk utility is included in the Image for Linux ZIP
archive file:
1. Extract the contents of the Image for Linux ZIP archive file to a folder of your
choice.
Note: If you are using a version of Windows that has a built-in compressed folders feature (e.g. Windows Me or Windows XP), you can double click the ZIP file and
then open the File menu and choose Extract all files in Windows Explorer to
extract the contents
2. Double-click MAKEDISK.EXE. The MakeDisk welcome screen appears.
3. Click Next on the MakeDisk welcome screen. The “License Agreement” screen
appears.
4. Read the Image for Linux license agreement, and if you accept it, select the “I
accept the agreement” button and click Next. The License screen appears.
5. If you own a licensed copy of Image for Linux, supply your serial number and
then click Next. The “Select Target” screen appears.
6. Select the target CD/DVD drive that MakeDisk should use to create the
bootable Image for Linux CD/DVD. You can select a specific CD Speed, but
leaving the option set to Optimal allows the MakeDisk utility to choose the
speed that will work best with your drive. Select a specific speed lower than
the speed of your CD/DVD drive if you encounter problems creating the boot
CD.
quote ends.

Anyway, if you say it does not work, then I will take your word for it.

On 30/09/2010 18:08, john coley wrote:
Hi Keith, it isn't possible, as I suspected. In order to make an image
for linux boot cd you need to install image for linux, which will only
install onto a system running linux.
As I said in my previous post image for dos will only create a boot cd
for dos, not linux. Believe me, I'm no slouch when it comes to
computers. I've got a lot of experience, and I've been running Image For
Windows for a couple of years. Granted, I hadn't till now investigated
image for linux, but had it been as simple as making a boot cd I'd have
sussed it ages ago.
Boot cd's made using the different Terabyte Unlimited products are
totally separate entities. It isn't a one fits all solution.
John.

signature database 5493 (20100930) __________