[access-uk] Re: talking portable dab radio

  • From: "Clive Lever" <clive.lever@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 19:59:28 +0100

Hello Paul,

I've always maintained that the marketing of the Sonus T was to blame. The company were impressed witht eh number of blind people who bought theradios, but had marketed them to the mainstream public, where the idea didn't catch on in the much larger sighted market. Now, if you put two radios side by side in a shop, in which it's traditionally difficult to demonstrate the performances of the sets because of reception issues, and interference from loads of computers, what would you expect of a sighted buyer. Effectively the choice is;:

Do you want a radio that talks or one that doesn't? They look identical, the reception and sound quality is identical, we can't show you the speech menus in operation, but one is £10 more than the other. You'd go for the cheaper of the two clones if you could see the screen, wouldn't you?

After that, no more spoken menus, not even on the DaB radios issued by Wireless For The Blind. Ah well, that's all there is too it, piglet!

Best,
Clive

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Benson" <paul.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bobby McNab - Email Address: colwyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx