[access-uk] Re: talking digital media centre

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 19:33:53 +0100

Well, if £850.00 is the asking price then a good few people I know won't be in
the market for one;  we shall have to have this confirmed though.  Still maybe
some pretty well-placed blind people will pay up.  As I've a bit of useful
sight I want something that will handle the pictures as well as giving me
speech output on digital text and audio description.  I suppose the DVD player
is voice prompted which has to be a plus oint.

Think Steve may miss the point a bit when he says a computer is more
cost-effective.  For him yes.  For mthe market this thing is aimed at though
computers are often seen as being from another planet.

It seems perverse, if not down right daft, if it won't play MP3 files.

Clearly, what's needed is a propper review of it.  Maybe Mr. Hartgen will do
this for subscribers to Infotech.

Steve wrote:
I spoke to Frank Haslam recently, who ordered one, and was disappointed to
discover that it can't even play MP3 CDs.  Daisy yes, but it can't play
straight MP3 CDs.  So who'd buy a media centre for getting on for 900 quid,
that has no pictures, and can't even handl MP3 CDs?  I certainly wouldn't.
For that price, you might as well stick a computer in your living room
<Smile>.
All the best
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at