[access-uk] Re: talking combination oven

  • From: "Peter" <peterholdstock@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 18:05:09 -0000

I purchased mine through City of York council and I know most councils have a small budget for buying things such as this should the blind person need it.

It is very good, and reduces cooking time by almost a third.

I can't recall all the cooking programs but they don't vover a large range. It just things like potatoes, pizza, rice/asta etc.

You don't need to weigh out food unless your using one of the programs, and that's only so it knows how big the item is. Not quite sure why nobody has done an oven that has a scale built in to the turntable so know need to know the weight.

I would recommend it, but the unit does get very hot on the sides, and a bit of space at the back and sides needs to be left between the unit and the wall/cupboard etc.

The other downfall of it is that say you cook one item for 20 mins using the convential oven then you want to microwave something like veg for a couple of minutes, the inside of the oven is still very hot, so you have to be careful what plastic cookware you use otherwise it could melt if in their too long.

The oven also cools it'self down once you've finished so in someways waystes energy by starting a fan and cooling down, although this isn't a big issue and can benefit if putting something in to microwave after using the convential oven as mentioned above.

I wouldn't send mine back anyway. I'm sure it probably saves energy not having ot use a full size cooker.

Peter