[access-uk] Re: talk back on android

  • From: Thomas <mrnoisy98@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 06:35:46 +1000

Because of the nature of android, this really depends on a number of factors, namely the OS version and manufacturer. OS version you really want, as a minimum, V4.0, but preferably 4.1.1 or above, but if you can get 4.3, the latest, you'll be far better off. The manufacturer has to do with it in the fact that almost all manufacturers put a skin, or software overlay over the original software. Most of the time, it is possible [but not trivial] to remove this [often you need to flash a custom ROM--a new OS], the problem with these overlays is that often they don't work properly [or at all] with talkback, and sometimes, they stop talkback from working. If you stick to a stock google tablet, or a Samsung tablet, you should be fine, but Personally, I think you'd be better off with a stock google device, though that's down to preference and budget. As for things you can do on an Android device, the possibilities are almost endless. Because android is open, if you can't do something, you can use a non-illegal [but warranty-voiding] procedure, called rooting, to give you [and apps to which you give it], super user permission [sort of like administrator on windows, and more like SU on Linux]. If you want more, a good place to go would be the Eyes-free android group, of which I am a member, which can be subscribed to by sending a blank email to

eyes-free+subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .

Hope this helps,
Thomas.

on 8/5/2013 5:58 PM, Adrien Collins wrote:
Hi

I am thinking about buying a second hand android tablet, I
have never used one before, it has talk back on it, would
this be sufficient to get me going? What kind of things can
I do on android tablets strait out of the box? The guy
selling the tablet could activate talkback for me.

Regards

Adrien

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein