[access-uk] Re: tables in PDF documents: a need for more accessibility

  • From: "Mandy" <manumandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 23:29:25 -0000

Perhaps AbilityNet need to be informed.

Mandy.

-----Original Message-----
From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Ray's Home
Sent: 22 March 2007 16:36
To: Access-Uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] tables in PDF documents: a need for more
accessibility

This is more a general observation than anything else.
I've come across a few examples of PDF tables not being accessible.  The
latest
example being of a local authority's mobile library timetable. Point is
though
that although the time table was presented in a table type layout in
appearance,
it wasn't actually a table in the technical sense - as confirmed by GW
Micro.  I
wonder if anyone has found a table  within a PDF which they can read
with their
screen reader's table mode?

I do accept that PDF has, for understandable reasons, become the more or
less
standard way in which information documents are distributed now.  I,
unlike
many, don't really object to this as PDFs can be very accessible if done
properly.  It is getting irksome though not having train timetables and
the like
being read out properly when distributed via PDF.

Who should we direct such comments to, apart from the organisations
concerned?
Shouldn't RNIB, Ability Net and other national bodies be doing something
too?
Is there a good source to direct organisations and the website
developers to so
they can do it properly?

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at: