[access-uk] Re: strange goings on

  • From: <Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 11:25:14 +0000

Hello Janet,

I can’t answer your question directly, but I hate it when a system gives
technical jargon to non-technical people when there’s a technical hitch. This
type of nonsense does a lot to frighten computer novices off technology, and
some of their customers will be new to I T, or at least, not technical bods.

When I was a computer programmer, one of the diagnostic error messages we got
when compiling the macros that would run your suite of programs ran:

“The system name is invalid when taking into account the existing startpoints
as defined by the context”. There was an option to get an explanation of the
meaning of this, but this was twice as long an half as meaningful as the
garbage in the previous sentence. Every time we saw this, it turned out to
mean: “The name of your program is too long”.

Best,
Clive