[access-uk] Re: stand alone TV receiver

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:19:58 -0000

Peter,

Digging deeper at the TV Licensing web page, the following
came up. It also transpires that my friend who got clobbered
was actually using a video recorder to record sound from a
TV aerial, even though he had no actual TV.  So you need to
be VERY careful in the light of how they have worded the
second paragraph in brackets.

George.

Do I need a licence if I haven't got a TV and I watch telly
on my laptop?
The law requires everyone, including students, to be covered
by a licence if they use any device to receive television
programmes as they're being shown on TV. This includes any
TV set, DVD or video recorder, digital box, PC, laptop or
mobile phone.

(If you use a digital box with a music system or another
device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't
display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any
other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.)