[access-uk] Re: software firewalls

  • From: Chipmunks <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:43:45 +0100

I always believe in just having one product of the same kind and function running so as not to have one interfere with the other. so I would always recommend just running one antivirus and one firewall program.

I only very recently came to xp myself and one of the first things I did was to disable xp's firewall along with the rest of the security center as I wanted to install my own choice of firewall and generally manage my system's secuirty myself.

Let me emphasize here that I do not recommend people turn of the security center but I do recommend only running one software firewall on a system and most standalone firewalls are more sophisticated than xp's nnative one.

Additionally, I recommend that anyone on a broadband connection use a router with an inbuilt hardware firewall in addition to the software firewall they have installed on their system. I'd recommend this even for individual users who have no need to utilize a router to share their connection.

cheers,

Doris

At 04:00 PM 1/17/2006 +0000, you wrote:

Douglas, what do most people on here do then? Should I turn Windows Firewall off completely and use something else like Kireo, or keep Windows Firewall on and also use another one?

Donna
----- Original Message ----- From: "Douglas Harrison" <harrisondf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>