[access-uk] Re: .smil files

  • From: Vincent Thacker <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 15:26:39 +0200 (CEST)

Richard, no, there aren't any MP3 files with that book, except for the initial
RNIB announcement. The book won't play in AMIS DAISY software. Of course, it
will be up to RNIB in the end to put me right, but I thought I'[d just ask
around. The other books I've had from RNIB are flawless, and present no
problems.

Vince.

Message Received: Apr 10 2014, 02:20 PM
From: "Richard Godfrey-McKay"
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: .smil files

It's surely a Daisy book which you could read with netplextalk.  There will
also be MP3 files which you cuuld play with your usual player.     Richard
Richard Godfrey-McKay
Telephone: 01738-445 880
From: "goshawk on horseback"
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "BCAB Discussion List" , VICUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] accessible program for .mobi files?

hello all,
does anyone know of any window-eyes accessible software for reading .mobi
files?
as in typical RNIB mismanagement fashion, the super easy to use .doc and
newsreader format is being discontinued as part of there take over of tnauk,
and the html versions as one of the formats set to replace it, A can't be
downloaded, and B is very tedious to navigate. the only other options are text,
which is going to be even worse, epub, which to the best of my knowledge isn't
a very usable format with screenreaders, (although I am not 100% sure that is
the case), and this new and to me unknown .mobi format. out of the 3 bits of
software I have managed to find for this format, Mobipocket ebook Reader,
Stanza Desktop, and calibre E-book reader, I could only get the calibre one to
actually download, and that seems to be a dead loss access wise.

Simon