[access-uk] Re: .smil files

  • From: "Richard Godfrey-McKay" <lists.godfrey-mckay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 14:19:21 +0100

It's surely a Daisy book which you could read with netplextalk.  There will
also be MP3 files which you cuuld play with your usual player.

Richard

Richard Godfrey-McKay

Telephone: 01738-445 880

Mobile: 07791 452 593

  _____

From: "goshawk on horseback"
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "BCAB Discussion List" ,
VICUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] accessible program for .mobi files?

hello all,

does anyone know of any window-eyes accessible software for reading .mobi
files?

as in typical RNIB mismanagement fashion, the super easy to use .doc and
newsreader format is being discontinued as part of there take over of tnauk,
and the html versions as one of the formats set to replace it, A can't be
downloaded, and B is very tedious to navigate. the only other options are
text, which is going to be even worse, epub, which to the best of my
knowledge isn't a very usable format with screenreaders, (although I am not
100% sure that is the case), and this new and to me unknown .mobi format.
out of the 3 bits of software I have managed to find for this format,
Mobipocket ebook Reader, Stanza Desktop, and calibre E-book reader, I could
only get the calibre one to actually download, and that seems to be a dead
loss access wise.

Simon