[access-uk] Re: smart phones and touch screens

  • From: Hazel Darvell <witch.hazel66@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 15:19:29 +0100

Ian your comment on calling a taxi was interesting but can you for example call the company you would usually call and not a passing cab on the streets?

I tend to use the same company as they are very good to all disabled people.
Hazel
On 14/09/2013 14:13, Ian Macrae wrote:
Hazel, your point about making calls, in particular the example you gave of
calling a cab is an interesting one.  Many people who use iPhones no longer
need to call cabs by phone because they have an app which can locate and
request a cab without the need to make a call.  My children both have smart
phones and the one thing neither of them use them for is making calls.  For the
most part I agree with your contention about external keyboards, however, I
love the fact that I can use my Braille display and keyboard for inputing and
reading text with my iPhone.  Personally, and for some reason I'm not able to
identify, I've never really taken to Siri the dictation app.
On 14 Sep 2013, at 12:12, Hazel Darvell wrote:

Jim I have been following this topic and have a few simple questions for
those who are already useing them.
I have sighted friends who use both Galaxy and I phones and report to me
that they don't make good calls, well guess what I use a phone for when
I am on the go? yup calling a taxi or others.
Secondly, do people use the voice activated menus? such as dictating
their text messages.
I saw the Apple phone as I said before and this had a touch keypad at
the bottom but as there was nothing to feel I had no idea which letter I
was useing.
Do people use an external keyboard? if so surely this defeats the Idea
of portable devices if you have to carry this as well.
Sorry for all the questions but really want to know.
Thanks.
Hazel
On 14/09/2013 11:33, Jim McAuslan wrote:
Hi Andy,

I'm looking forward to embracing the Apple Mac challenge.  Do you have
a link or address for an e mail group re Apple related stuff for vi
users?
Jim Mc
On 14/09/2013 10:42, Andy Collins wrote:
And to add to this, there are good podcasts/tutorials and email
groups. I bought my Macbook air in July and now feel very comfortable
with it. There are still one or two things I struggle with, but
mostly all is now going well, and I love it's light weight and
portability, and it's excellent build and feel -

Andy
On 13 Sep 2013, at 21:55, Ian Macrae
<ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jim, again the move to Mac from PC is a big one so if you need
assistance there are more of us than there used to be ready to give it.
On 13 Sep 2013, at 21:33, Jim McAuslan wrote:

Hi Ian,

That's greatly reassuring.  The general consensus of opinion is
that the
IPhone is the best route to go.
As I said to Jackie earlier, I'm also looking forward to getting my
very
first Apple laptop and that'll be another learning curve, smile.
Cheers.
Jim Mc
On 13/09/2013 15:53, Ian Macrae wrote:
Jim, the first touch screen I tried was a Nokia phone running
Talks and it was hopeless as far as I was concerned.  By that time
my sighted wife had started using an iPhone and I gave that a go
and took to it like a duck to water.  For me the way in which the
user interacts with the iPhone screen has always felt highly
intuitive.  Once you get used to the distance between the
different icons, and know that nothing is going to happen until
you make it happen it just seems to fall into place.  It is also
worth going to an Apple store to have a play and asking for
assistance from someone who is familiar with Voiceover.  there's
always at least one member of staff who is.
On 13 Sep 2013, at 15:47, Jim McAuslan wrote:

Hello Jackie,

Maybe I should try an IPhone next.  I'm looking to get my first
Apple
Mac laptop soon so maybe It'll be logical  to try an IPhone.
Jim Mc
On 13/09/2013 15:11, Jackie Brown wrote:
Hi Jim

When I first got an iPhone 4, I felt exactly the same as you do
now.  I
found it hard to answer and end a call, and generally dreaded
going near it.
But I decided that if I could use my iPod Touch successfully,
then I would
vow to apply the same logic to an iPhone, and embrace it once
and for all.
So I did that at the start of this year, and am glad I did now.

I know Steve will shout me down here, but I find the iOS
experience slightly
easier than Android.  That isn't to say I don't like the latter, I
definitely do.  But I find it easier to skip round my iOS
devices than I do
my Nexus 7 tablet.  I can't explain why, I just find it more of
a hassle.
But Mr Nutt will say it is all down to training and getting to
know your
device well, and I accept that, (smile).  I guess you just feel
more
comfortable with some things better than others.

Please don't feel despondent Jim, I think that, if we are being
honest, we
have all felt the same way at one point or another.

Kind regards,

Jackie Brown
Twitter: @thebrownsplace