[access-uk] small portable laptops

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 01:22:32 -0000

Hi all.

After giving some really close and serious consideration to the range of note
takers with Braille displays available, I have decided to go with a laptop and
a Braille display because I want to be able to work with Microsoft Word
documents.  I regularly need to use word documents with tables and, to be
honest, none of the note takers available work well with these.

So, as well as a Braille display which I will ask about in another email, I
require a decent light weight laptop.  Ideally it should weigh 1.6 KG or less.
I have heard of a few.  There is the Samsung Q45, the Dell Latitude D430 and
maybe other dell latitudes as well and I believe Toshiba and HP do some small
models but I would be interested to hear views of people with small laptops.

Also, as battery life can some times be a bit short I would like a second
battery or maybe a high capacity battery, even if it sticks out of the back a
little.  What I would also like however is a way of charging a battery without
having it plugged in the computer as having to charge a battery, swap it, and
charge another is what I call a real pain!  What I am saying is I would like to
be able to charge 2 batteries at once in some way.

regards

graham

Graham Page
Home Phone: 0207 265 9493