[access-uk] Re: small, light computers

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 05:22:29 +0100

Hi Gerry.

OK, firstly, if your talking about a netbook, this will not come with a cd drive built in because of the size of these machines. The whole point of netbooks is that they are compact, lightweight travel computers specifically designed for people on the go to check their email, for web browsing and other light computing tasks. For what its worth, and considering I've owned or had in my possession at one time or another over a dozen different models of netbook, the one I find that trumps the lot in terms of sheer usability, features, portability and just generally the one I'm most happy with would have to be the Asus EEE PC 1005 series. These have a lovely ergonomic keyboard, clearly defined touchpad area with the ability to turn it off (most important if your blind and don't use it), Wireless N connectivity, Bluetooth, different hard drive options depending on whether you go for an xp or Windows 7 model, 1 gigabyte of memory upgradable easily to 2 gigabytes and a very reasonable built in sound system and very clear microphone. Many netbooks are much the same, but the defining point about this machine is the battery life. I own one of the top range models in this series of machines, with the battery giving me a very impressive 13 hours use when optimal power performance is set up, so all day computing isn't an issue with this beast.

Please let me know if your interested and I'll source some model specifics and retailers where you can buy them. I'll also be able to make a recommendation concerning a cd drive, depending on what your looking to do.

All the best, Ibrahim.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerald Locke" <gerald.locke@xxxxxxxxxx>