[access-uk] Re: skype microphones

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 16:10:35 +0100

The USB headsets terminate as a USB plug rather than two jacks at the end.
They serve as an audio I/O device in their own right.  I don't have direct
experience of any but some are known to cut out your main soundcard when
inserted and therefore not suited to use with a screen reader.  Also generally
those who have tried a range seem to prefer the ones with standard jacks that
make use of the soundcard.

Of the wired type you don't necessarily prefer I brought two sets of Altec
Lanseng for £12 apeice.  For the money they are of acceptable quality have
reasonably long leash and aren't nearly as nasty as I thought they could be for
the money.

There are Bluetooth audio sets around costing about £70 or so, my experience of
Bluetooth albeit through mobile phones is that the audio quality suffers a bit.
 The general experience with Bluetooth is a bit more patchy as regards
reliability and stress freeness.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology