[access-uk] Re: sky internet

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 12:44:27 -0000

Hi Husna

Steve Dryden has responded pretty comprehensively already, but I would add a couple of things to help you.

I went to Sky Broadband because we were already Sky TV customers with the sports package. We went for the £5 a month broadband offer because it saved us £13 a month with our previous ISP, Wanadoo. This gives us a 40GB download cap at a speed, they reckon, of up to 8MB. I think our exchange offers 6MB at the moment.

I've found Sky's technical support ok thus far, more approachable and locally based. I'm not entirely convinced they know what they are doing, but I can't fault their manners and willingness to help. And I think their attitude to disability is better than others.

I haven't got the added Sky phone package though. There isn't a specific reason for not doing so, other than the fact I've got to have a BT landline to get ADSL broadband in any case, so use BT's Options 3 package. It may work out better to go with Sky, but frankly I can't be bothered to change when it works at the moment.

As Steve rightly says, there are some things you need to do to receive your Emails in Outlook Express, if that's the client you work with. I can send you the instructions file I was given to do this if it helps you.

Other than that Husna, shop around. If you go for most of them, you are committed to a 12-month contract.

Good luck.

Jackie
----- Original Message ----- From: <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>