[access-uk] Re: silly emails

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:52:01 +0100

The problem here is that there is no concept of authentication surround
existing mail protocols.  It is all too easy to forge mail headers so where it
appears to come from is probably forged.  Banks themselves are increasingly
looking at second factor authentican a something that you have (as well as what
you know) like a username or password).  Second factor authentication or some
organisation that can vouch for your identity through systems such as secure ID
possibly provide part of the answer.

If you understand that banks almost never use email to communicate with their
customers because of its lack of security then that makes you a lot safer.  Any
email that pupports to be from an organisation or website you are connected
with that urges you to log in because something is going to happen if you don't
is immediately suspicious.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Technical Support
Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing, Summerhouse Road, Moulton Park, NN3 6WD

Web : www.sightandsound.co.uk

Email: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Support: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line:   0845 634 7979
                        01604 798 000

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales, with company number 1408275.
Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a trading subsidiary of 2nd Phoenix
Limited.

Registered Address -
Blenheim House,
York Road,