[access-uk] Re: screen reader called Guide

  • From: "Phil" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:53:07 +0100

Hi Trace.

I am familiar with Guide and it can be used in conjunction with
microsoft applications. Guide can convert files from one form to
another, so for example you could get Guide to read out a document
produced by someone using a different application, like Microsoft Word.
You can not use outlook express directly but you can import all of your
outlook express details and contacts and use your original email address
within Guide. Guide then sends and receives just like any another email
client.

I would say that Guide is a friendly environment where you can email,
write documents, scan and read books, burn music cd's, listen to
podcast, surf the internet and much much more. Guide also assists the
user with 2 real speech voices and numerous help pages.

It does use it's own environment and a nice simple menu driven program
to navigate you into various functions and applications. All of the
screens colours, fonts, sizes etc are also totally customizable to the
user.

I would not say that Guide is a complete screen reader as it will only
read out within Guide. Although it has it's own web browser so happily
reads the internet as well as emails, documents and pages of text from a
scanner to name a few.

It does take the stresses and concerns of windows away from the user and
you can literally read an email or get onto the internet with 2 or 3 key
strokes.

If I can offer any further advice please just ask.

Regards Phil.