[access-uk] Re: rnib talking book library

  • From: "Iain Lackie" <ilackie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 18:39:46 +0100

The trial was in fact of memory sticks. I never listen to a book from the cd.

Iain
-----Original Message----- From: Chris Moore
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 5:46 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: rnib talking book library

William/Jackie,

I believe the RNIB ran a trial of having the talking books delivered on memory cards instead of CD. This meant the memory cards could be re-used. The trial was successful according to RNIB's website, but two years on and we still don't have memory cards as an option.

It has got to the stage now where I simply zip up the contents of the CD and transfer them to my iPhone to read via m Daisy (I think that is what it is called, and sadly it is not the best of daisy apps). I do have a Milestone 312, but don't find it very intuitive. I quite like the Victor stream, but feel its a bit old hat now.

Is anyone on list a international bookshare customer? I hear their app is pretty good.

I have to be honest, I think the Plextalk CD player RNIB supply is a breeze to use, I just hate the lottery approach of receiving them.

Chris
Chris On 31 Jul 2012, at 16:51, william lomas <will.d.lomas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

yeah i know i wish we could do that rather than me using the cd service as the books only go on to an ipad iphone or other device so waht's point?

On 31 Jul 2012, at 16:48, "Jackie Cairns" <jackie.cairnsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Chris

Martin has been a TB member for several years. But he often has to contact
RNIB to ask them for an updated book list.  It shouldn't be like that, no
more than it should be with the Braille catalogue.  You should be able to
download and place your content onto a device like the Victor Reader Stream. There has been a lot of talk about this happening, yet only now do we hear that a new system comes into place this October, where subscribers can view
their bookshelf! Wow! Big deal, that's real progress.

Martin is largely delighted with the TB service, but it is out-of-date. And the Braille catalogue should be accessed by every member of Helpline staff
so that we don't have to wait for a nominated person to contact us,
something the new system is addressing in October.

As for the books themselves, yes they are heavy.  We have a great system
whereby the postman comes by in his van because we live in a fairly rural
area.  We leave a set of books in the hall for him, and swap them for
whatever post he brings on his round.  This means we seldom have to take
them to the Post Office ourselves. It's great if you can organise something
helpful like that with a postman.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns