[access-uk] Re: rnib navigator

  • From: "Carol.Pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 15:52:54 -0000

OK, thanks for this info. I'll leavef it alone, at least for the foreseeable future.

I'm getting into Blind Square and did my first trip out where I went to a specific named place and got the alert of that place last week. Today I just set Blind Square running and listened to the info I got on the bus and walking through town. It was helpful in a number of ways in both places. It worked for me to use BSQ with mBraille. Now I'm going to add a few more favourites and become more familiar and enjoy it, along with getting used to the directions I get when using Google Maps.

I found that the Braille Sense internal GPS receiver has been unable to get me a "fix" so far so that I could use the Google Maps app provided, but now I'm keen and intend to just open Google Maps and take the Sense for a walk and see if it comes to life. Once it realises I'm here in the UK, maybe it will be strong enough for use.

Have you any knowledge of using the Braille Sense U2 Mini and Google Maps here?

Carol P

----- Original Message ----- From: "Saqib Hussain" <saqibh23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ibrahim Gucukoglu <ibrahimGucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
To:  access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC:
Date: Sunday, 22 March 2015 10.58 pm

Hi Carol.

No, there haven't been any updates in the last few months, in fact I can't remember the last time the app was updated at all for that matter. It is
still the very simple navigation app it always has been with no added
functions, however that said I wrote an app of the month article for RNIB covering this app, and at the time and I still do, think it is one of the
most useful navigation aids on the iPhone.  Its always the first app I
pull up whenever I need directions to somewhere, and if I don't happen to find what I'm looking for in Navigator then there are other apps I can use
to get points of interest information.  I travel around London and there
is plenty of information re my surroundings on 4square and most points of
interests can be found easily enough.

All the best, Ibrahim.