[access-uk] Re: require recommendations for a different type of backup program

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 06:37:54 +0000

hello.

this is overkill for what you want but just virtualise your operating system using products from VMWare. you could then carry your machine around on a USB key if you wanted and boot it on any computer with VMWare player installed. this functionality is paid but your company may stump up the cash? take a look at their website:

http://www.vmware.com/

cheers,

Mo.

On 21/03/2014 05:42, Shaun O'Connor wrote:
i don't know about performing a complete image of your hard drive
compete with operating system( I am assuming windows) since as far as i
know recent editions of windows  are closely tied to the computer they
are originally installed onto.
also recent computes will have a recovery image of windows already in a
hidden partition so that a system recovery can be made. however all
other files should be moveable between machines by backing them up onto
an external hard drive.
On 21/03/2014 04:58, Austin Pinto wrote:
hi all.
please excuse me if this is a long mail but ill try to keep it short.
i require a backup program that can do the following.
1. make a iso or some kind of easyly extractable image of my c drive.
2. lets say i backup my home computer and extract the image on my
external hard drive and take the drive to work and boot the system
from the drive to get the exect windows and apps that i installed at
home.
from there i can update the backup image by adding updates of apps
windows updates and so on.
and if something fails on my home computer i can easyly restore my computer.
the only different thing that i want this backup program to do is boot
to my backed up image and start windows from there