[access-uk] Re: require a antivirus recommendation for a sighted friend but i need to support it

  • From: Vincent Thacker <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 10:24:28 +0200 (CEST)

Austin,

I can't tell you whether this is the best choice for your purposes, but I'm
using AVG on my Win 8.1 64-bit system, and must say it's pretty good for
accessibility. It also tackles various types of malware apart from viruses.

I have one reservation, and that is that AVG pops up status messages that NVDA
can't read, and even though I have a bit of sight, I can't read them by sight
either because of the microscopic font. However, your sighted client would
presumably have no trouble reading them.

While AVG used to be pretty slow, that is no longer the case, I find.

I don't want to rely entirely on one program to get rid of malware, so run
Malwarebytes and Superantispyware from time to time as well. All of these have
picked up different malware. To ensure some level of accessibility, I've stuck
with an old version of Malwarebytes, 1.75, which still, however, gets updates
of malware definitions.

Vince.

Message Received: Jul 08 2014, 08:07 AM
From: "Austin Pinto"
To: "A general technology discussion list" , "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" ,
"AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerning the
disabled." , "keyboardusers" , "list"
Subject: [access-uk] require a antivirus recommendation for a sighted friend
but i need to support it

hi all.
i am helping 1 of my claient who is sighted to clean his computer out
of infections.
so i ask can you please recommend some antivirus for him.
the antivirus should be accessable as i must support it.
it also should not make the pc slow and should run on windows 8.1 64 bit.
as he does online transections it should be good and should have
internet and anti fishing protection.
please help.

austinpinto.xaviers@xxxxxxxxx
follow me on twitter.