[access-uk] remote keyfinder

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:23:57 +0100

Hi list.  Was idly browsing in Dixons Mega Store in Birmingham
this afternoon  as is my wont.

A new 'store-with-in-a-store outfit, Consessions, had taken up
space near the door.  (I've never heard of them and haven't seen
a reference on the web.)  Anyway, they had a cute four key remote
keyfinder for £40.00 - £50.00.  I could see no access issues with
it, and indeed, each large buttonon the base unit had one to four
dots in a dent above the buttons so you can identify quite easily
which remote finder device you are 'paging'.  Maybe a bit on the
pricy side, but struck me as being something I'd get no end of
use out of.  The beautiful young lady who showed me the thing
seemed to think you could attach it to remote controls, claiming
that many remotes have a hole you can attach a device like this
to.  I've never seen that.

They also appear to do a single keyring where you simply clap, to
judge by the picture on the blister pack.  They had other goodies
too, including a monocular for around £15.00;  a solar recharging
device and lots more gadgets.  The star attraction was an
American style juke box all lit up around the edge looking a bit
like an Odean Cinima screen.  Just a multi CD player eally, but
well, if that's what you want!

Anyone know of any other devices competing with this keyring
romote caller?  Would be very interested to know.

As a side thought, its interesting how many store staff are
willing to help these days.  I do not think its my natyural
magnatism that attracts this help, although obviously, I'd like
to think so.  Had similar lushious help in Virgin Mega Store too
recently.  It could well be that many stores are realising this
is one card they can play to compete with cheaper internet
retailers.  Will be interesting to watch how the market
re-configures itself in the personal physical store versus the
impersonal internet.
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx