[access-uk] Re: re owasys

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:18:41 -0000

Hi Ray

A lot of the clients who visit our local Society for the Blind are older, and want simplistic mobile phones with large displays and big buttons. I think the Owasys fell short on the lack of screen, particularly given its voice is, in my view, appalling. If it had the speech like the Caretec products, for example, it would have been easier for more people to understand perhaps. But the fact there is no screen either makes it limited for those who need a display as well as nice buttons.

Ian tried it for a short time because, at that period, he couldn't text. He just wanted a phone containing contacts and to make calls if he was out and required a taxi, or wanted to speak to yours truly. He sent the Owasys back because he couldn't get used to the speech. So I taught him to text using my old faithful 6600 when I upgraded to the N91. He soon realised the Nokia had more flexibility. Then he went onto GPS with Wayfinder Access, and has never looked back.

I'm sure there is a need for something like the Owasys, but its lack of screen and price for something so basic still puts a lot of people off.

Jackie
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf
Of
Denis Tocher
Sent: Friday 25 January 2008 14:11
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Brian,

I chose the Owa-sys phone because I did not want an all singing and
dancing mobile phone.

The phone is essentially only useful for calls and text messaging.
It has
some fancy features like ringing tones plus the essential date/time
and
phone book features.  It is a robust and reliable mobile.

I use a Vodafone Pay-as-you-go tarriff and find buying voice packs
at £25
for 200 mins the best value.  Also, from time-to-time, I top up the
calling credit for texts etc and £25 worth goes a long way in my
case.

HTH.

Denis